Need help with round-robin tournament scheduling

TrisOD

Without going into a lot of detail that is irrelevant to the situation I would will try to explain what I am trying to do.

I want to host a 2v2 round robin style tournament. However, in this 2v2 there are two groups and the people who belong to those groups, stay in those groups for the entirety of the tournament. Let's call this group numbers and group letters. Each team consists of a letter and a number. So to successfully pull off this round robin, every letter will play with ever number exactly once. This and of itself is easy to re-create. However, the stuggle consists of when you have to try and make sure that the distribution of opponents is somewhat even. (example: Letter A doesn't face letter B 4 times but doesn't ever play letter E or I). I will share some pictures in order to better illustrate my work so far.

My first picture demonstrates every possible number/letter combination. There are 100 total combinations (10x10). The colors represent 'rounds'. No letter or number can play multiple times in the same round so it's important that no letter or number gets repeated in a round.

Teams.jpg

The second picture involves extrapolating all of the alike colors or rounds to better visualize the rounds that need to be played.

layout.jpg
All of this said, I am having a hard time figuring out how to most fairly match opponents evenly. Yes, I did bust out a pencil and I found a way that it's acceptable. However, this is merely IF 20 people show up. I need to be more flexible in allowing for a wide range of players and find a way to expedite the process. Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe this is in the wrong subforum? Any moderators are welcome to move it to where they think it will fit best. Also I read the rules and I guess I am supposed to give an idea of 'where I am at educationally speaking'. This is not for a class. It is not homework and it's strictly something I am putting together to help others.

I am 27 and am about to graduate from college. As far as math is concerned I've taken everything up through differential equations.

Without going into a lot of detail that is irrelevant to the situation I would will try to explain what I am trying to do.

I want to host a 2v2 round robin style tournament. However, in this 2v2 there are two groups and the people who belong to those groups, stay in those groups for the entirety of the tournament. Let's call this group numbers and group letters. Each team consists of a letter and a number. So to successfully pull off this round robin, every letter will play with ever number exactly once. This and of itself is easy to re-create. However, the stuggle consists of when you have to try and make sure that the distribution of opponents is somewhat even. (example: Letter A doesn't face letter B 4 times but doesn't ever play letter E or I). I will share some pictures in order to better illustrate my work so far.

My first picture demonstrates every possible number/letter combination. There are 100 total combinations (10x10). The colors represent 'rounds'. No letter or number can play multiple times in the same round so it's important that no letter or number gets repeated in a round.

View attachment 5089

The second picture involves extrapolating all of the alike colors or rounds to better visualize the rounds that need to be played.

View attachment 5090
All of this said, I am having a hard time figuring out how to most fairly match opponents evenly. Yes, I did bust out a pencil and I found a way that it's acceptable. However, this is merely IF 20 people show up. I need to be more flexible in allowing for a wide range of players and find a way to expedite the process. Any ideas?
This site provides a "how to run" and schedule generator
http://www.printyourbrackets.com/howtoroundrobin.html
Also, remember that for questions like these, search engines are your friend.

I'm new. I found this site through a search engine :). Had a hard time finding something that worked as well as I had hoped and thought maybe one of the brilliant minds here knew of a place. Thank you, I will check the sites out.

EDIT: As most bracket generators I have already found, they are unable to accommodate the 2v2 style (with moving partners and moving opponents).

Last edited: