how to interpret time series regression

rbcc

Hi,

How do interpret regression results with time series data?

If the period covered is 20 years take for example this regression

\(\displaystyle y_t=\beta_0+\beta_1(y)+\epsilon_t\)

if the coefficient on \(\displaystyle \beta_1\) is 500 for example how would I interpret that? Is it the same as a standard regression? A 1 unit increase in \(\displaystyle \beta_1\) is associated with a 500 unit increase in \(\displaystyle y_t\)?

Thank you!

Hi,

How do interpret regression results with time series data?

If the period covered is 20 years take for example this regression

\(\displaystyle y_t=\beta_0+\beta_1(y)+\epsilon_t\)

if the coefficient on \(\displaystyle \beta_1\) is 500 for example how would I interpret that? Is it the same as a standard regression? A 1 unit increase in \(\displaystyle \beta_1\) is associated with a 500 unit increase in \(\displaystyle y_t\)?

Thank you!
If I saw this regression formula I would interpret it as y is the independent variably; yt is the dependent variable; \(\displaystyle \beta_0\) and \(\displaystyle \beta_1\) are the linear regression fit variables for the 'explained behavior'; and \(\displaystyle \epsilon_t\) is a measure of the 'unexplained behavior'. Thus a one unit increase in y is associated with a 500 unit increase in \(\displaystyle y_t\)

It really doesn't make any difference what y and yt are. They could be a time dependent behavior and time or number of grains of sand in a swimming suit after a dip in the ocean and size of the swimming suit.

Last edited: