The heights of 2-year-old American girls are distributed...

fuller.serenity

The heights of 2-year-old American girls are distributed in an approximately normal manner. The 5th percentile and the 95th percentile of their heights are about 79 cm and 91 cm, respectively.

a. Estimate the mean and standard deviation of the distribution of 2-year-old girls' heights.

b. Use the mean and standard deviation to estimate the range of heights that would be in the middle 50% for 2-year-old girls.

c. About what proportion of 2-year-old girls are between 32 inches and 34 inches tall? (There are about 2.54 cm in an inch)

d. Assume that from ages 2 to 5 years, all American girls grow 9 cm. How would this affect the mean and standard deviation of the population in items a-c?

I missed this lesson and my teacher is unavailable for tutoring so I could really use help!

The heights of 2-year-old American girls are distributed in an approximately normal manner. The 5th percentile and the 95th percentile of their heights are about 79 cm and 91 cm, respectively.

a. Estimate the mean and standard deviation of the distribution of 2-year-old girls' heights.

b. Use the mean and standard deviation to estimate the range of heights that would be in the middle 50% for 2-year-old girls.

c. About what proportion of 2-year-old girls are between 32 inches and 34 inches tall? (There are about 2.54 cm in an inch)

d. Assume that from ages 2 to 5 years, all American girls grow 9 cm. How would this affect the mean and standard deviation of the population in items a-c?

I missed this lesson and my teacher is unavailable for tutoring so I could really use help!

What are your thoughts? What have you done so far? Please show us your work even if you feel that it is wrong so we may try to help you. You might also read
http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/threads/78006-Read-Before-Posting