Geometric Probability - Need HELP

jurianna

I made tape of a conversation. The recording began 34 minutes into a 60 minute tape and lasted 12 minutes. I inadvertently erased 18 minutes of the tape. What is the probability that I erased the whole conversation?
:confused:

I made tape of a conversation. The recording began 34 minutes into a 60 minute tape and lasted 12 minutes. I inadvertently erased 18 minutes of the tape. What is the probability that I erased the whole conversation?

What are your thoughts?

Please share your work with us ...even if you know it is wrong

If you are stuck at the beginning tell us and we'll start with the definitions.

You need to read the rules of this forum. Please read the post titled "
Read before Posting" at the following URL:

http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/th...Before-Posting

The whole conversation will be erased - if you start erasing between 28 minutes and 34 minutes (then a 18 minute erasure will completely erase 12 minuteconversation.

Now calculate the probability that you will start erasing the 60 minute tape within those 6 minutes.

The whole conversation will be erased - if you start erasing between 28 minutes and 34 minutes (then a 18 minute erasure will completely erase 12 minuteconversation.

Now calculate the probability that you will start erasing the 60 minute tape within those 6 minutes.
Now if the full 18 min were actually erased from the tape does that mean that the total possibility of a start time is reduced from the 60 minute tape length? Or does it mean we could have started erasing the tape at 50 min and 'erased the tape' for 18 minutes?