How can I 'reverse' derive a correct but unknown dataset when I already know the mean

fieldmusic123

'Reverse' derive correct dataset when given mean + std dev?

If I know the mean and standard deviation, but I don't have an original data set, is it possible to reverse calculate a data set that has this known mean and std dev? Is there an excel function I could use to do this easily? I know there could be multiple correct datasets and that's fine, I'm just wondering if it's possible to reverse derive a correct one that has the known mean and std dev.

So, for a MEAN = 100 and STD. DEV= 15, can anyone tell me how to calculate a data set with n=3?

Many thanks.

Last edited:
If I know the mean and standard deviation, but I don't have an original data set, is it possible to reverse calculate a data set that has this known mean and std dev? Is there an excel function I could use to do this easily? I know there could be multiple correct datasets and that's fine, I'm just wondering if it's possible to reverse derive a correct one that has the known mean and std dev.

So, for a MEAN = 100 and STD. DEV= 15, can anyone tell me how to calculate a data set with n=3?

Many thanks.
What are your thoughts? What have you done so far? Please show us your work even if you feel that it is wrong so we may try to help you. You might also read
http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/threads/78006-Read-Before-Posting

You can just fudge the points. As an example, suppose you want three points and just want the mean to match. Choose two points randomly and then choose the third point to give the wanted mean. If you want the mean and standard deviation to match, you have to fudge two points.