Winning the lottery

music head

Hi all,

I've been thinking about this question for quite a while now but can't think of the right answer. Probability has always fascinated me and made my brain boggle. Especially the Monty Hall problem. I'm hoping someone here might be able to shed some light on this for me.

Which would give me the better chance of winning the lottery: buying one ticket a week, or 52 tickets once a year?

At first i thought there would be no difference in odds. But now i'm not sure. Obviously the more tickets u buy at once the greater your chance of winning, up to buying 13 million tickets to give you a 100% chance. So 52 tickets is definitely better than one because when buying one ticket per week you only ever have a 1/13million chance. I'm thinking because the lottery numbers always change each week that buying the 52 in one shot is the better way to go. However, if the numbers were to stay the same and u were just trying to have a guess once a week or 52 at once, the odds would be the same for guessing/winning a year.