I got a big confusion with these Probability problem.

Billywafuu

INTRODUCTION - You can skip this :)

Hello, there's a certain problem my professor gave us and I got little bit confused BECAUSE there's a same problem yesterday that I don't really understand and now, it's the same thing and he'll expect me to answer the same WRONG solution because he didn't taught us the RIGHT way to do it because we're out of time and for you asking "What's bothering" me in this problem, the problem is "I don't know what's bothering me" I mean, I got a lot of questions like "How is that?" "Wait, why is there 3 outcomes?" etc. etc and searching alone does not help, unless you ask someone with experience, yes I understand probability back in my days but now, this question is bothering. :)

PROBLEM

Suppose that 3 vehicles taking particular freeway exit can turn Left (L) , turn Right (R) and Straight (S). Consider observing the direction of the three vehicles.
A) List all outcomes in event A that all 3 vehicles will go in the same direction.
B) List all outcomes in event B that all 3 vehicles will take different directions.
C) List all outcomes in event C that exactly 2 vehicles of the 3 vehicles will turn right.
D) List all outcomes in event D that exactly 2 of the 3 vehicles will go in the same direction.

Can someone please, ANSWER and EXPLAIN so I will know how, please I want to learn :)

Guys, thank you so much for the time! I'll appreciate it so much! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
PROBLEM
Suppose that 3 vehicles taking particular freeway exit can turn Left (L) , turn Right (R) and Straight (S). Consider observing the direction of the three vehicles.
A) List all outcomes in event A that all 3 vehicles will go in the same direction.
B) List all outcomes in event B that all 3 vehicles will take different directions.
C) List all outcomes in event C that exactly 2 vehicles of the 3 vehicles will turn right.
D) List all outcomes in event D that exactly 2 of the 3 vehicles will go in the same direction.
This is an incomplete problem. You did not say if each car is equally likely to chose one of the three??

So we assume that is the case. Learn how to make a table of outcomes.
Draw a table of twenty-seven rows and three columns.
In the first column put nine L's, followed by nine R's, followed by nine S's
In the second column put three L's, followed by three R's, followed by three S's. Then repeat that pattern twice again.
In the third column put one L, followed by one R, followed by one S. Then repeat that pattern until the entire column is filled.

When you have finished, if you have done it correctly, the first row should be \(\displaystyle \bf L~L~L\); the last row should be \(\displaystyle \bf S~S~S\); and some other row should be \(\displaystyle \bf R~R~R\).

So we see in three out of twenty-seven, all turn in the same direction.