Do I have enough info to answer this?

gpsar

Hi,

I feel like I'm missing something. Am I missing something?
The question:

Q. A mechanic fixes 1.2 cars on average per day. He can do a maximum of 3 cars per day.
How many days per year is the number of requests for help likely to exceed his capacity?

What stats test could I use?

Thanks v much!!

Hi,

I feel like I'm missing something. Am I missing something?
The question:

Q. A mechanic fixes 1.2 cars on average per day. He can do a maximum of 3 cars per day.
How many days per year is the number of requests for help likely to exceed his capacity?

What stats test could I use?

Thanks v much!!

You don't really have enough information. You need the distribution the average is based on and possibly some other items such as a standard deviation depending on the distribution type.

For example, suppose he got in an average of 1 car a day to fix. He would fix that car and never get behind ON AVERAGE. But what if the standard deviation was 2 cars a day and it was a normal distribution.

You don't really have enough information. You need the distribution the average is based on and possibly some other items such as a standard deviation depending on the distribution type.

For example, suppose he got in an average of 1 car a day to fix. He would fix that car and never get behind ON AVERAGE. But what if the standard deviation was 2 cars a day and it was a normal distribution.

That's what I wondered. As far as I can tell, all I know is that:

The mean in 1.2
The options are discrete (he can only fix 0, 1, 2, 3, ..., n) cars.
He can't fix -1 cars.
There are 365 days, so he fixes 438 cars.

Hmm...

That's what I wondered. As far as I can tell, all I know is that:

The mean in 1.2
The options are discrete (he can only fix 0, 1, 2, 3, ..., n) cars.
He can't fix -1 cars.
There are 365 days, so he fixes 438 cars.

Hmm...

Hey give the poor mechanic some time off;)