I don't know where to begin!

jembilee

attachment.php
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]

I need a walkthrough of the above problem. I honestly have no idea where to start :\

Here are the two questions I'm required to answer:
[/FONT]

• Is the pharmacist’s calculated rate of 200 mL/hr correct?
  • Assume a doctor orders 800 cc of a drug to be infused every 6 hours. If the patient has been given 1800 cc in 15 hours, has the patient been appropriately dose? If not, by what percent has the patient been under or overdosed?

Attachments

• cycle 1 focus problem.jpg
    cycle 1 focus problem.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 34
attachment.php

I need a walkthrough of the above problem. I honestly have no idea where to start :\

Here are the two questions I'm required to answer:

• Is the pharmacist’s calculated rate of 200 mL/hr correct?
  • Assume a doctor orders 800 cc of a drug to be infused every 6 hours. If the patient has been given 1800 cc in 15 hours, has the patient been appropriately dose? If not, by what percent has the patient been under or overdosed?
This is a conversion problem.

1 cc = ? mL

600 cc/(8 hr) = ? mL/hr

I need a walkthrough of the above problem. I honestly have no idea where to start

I'm sorry you missed the classes during which they covered this material. I regret to inform that we are unable to replace those missing weeks of instruction. Also, we can help you with the arithmetic, but you'll need to explain the industry-specific stuff (such as, what is "D5W", and how does it relate, if at all?). So let's start at the beginning:

Do you know any of the industry-specific stuff? If so, please reply with that. If not, then you'll need to look elsewhere for assistance.

Do you know any of the units stuff? For instance, do you know what a "cc" is, or how it relates to milliliters?

Do you know any of the arithmetic stuff? If so, please reply stating which parts you understand. If not, we'll probably need to start there. (I say "probably", because this opinion may change, once we get the missing information from your replies.)

Either way, please explain why you think that this is a "statistics" exercise, rather than an arithmetic converting-units problem. Thank you! ;)

Medical Errors Walk Through Answers

How much D5W did the child receive vs what was ordered? The surgeon ordered only 1000cc, the patient was actually given 3000cc (3 full bags). Assuming the surgeon was correct, what should the rate have been? 600 cc every 8 hours, or 600 / 8 = 75 cc / 1 hour. How long should the 1000 cc have been administered? 1000 cc / 75 cc/hr = 13.33 hours, or 13 hours and 20 minutes. The child's sodium levels were 21.3 percent beneath the normal range. (107 - 136) / 136 using only the lower bound. The pharmacist's calculation of 200mL/hr is wrong. It should have been 75mL/hr (1cc = 1mL). If 800 cc is to be given every 6 hours, that's 800 / 6 = 133.33 cc/hr. If given 1800cc in 15hrs, that's 1800/15 = 120 cc/hr. The patient has been under dosed by (120 - 133.33)/133.33 = 0.10, or 10 percent.