needing help with revision on exponents: 5^8 * 5^3, etc

miranda1990

can someone plz help:

Simplify each of the following by first writing as repeated multiplication and then using index notation.

\(\displaystyle \mbox{a. }\, 5^8\, \times\, 5^3\)\(\displaystyle \mbox{b. }\, 7^2\, \times\, 7^6\)\(\displaystyle \mbox{c. }\, 4^8\, \times\, 4^5\)
\(\displaystyle \mbox{d. }\, \left(2^7\right)^3\)\(\displaystyle \mbox{e. }\, \left(11^3\right)^8\)\(\displaystyle \mbox{f. }\, \left(9^5\right)^3\)
\(\displaystyle \mbox{g. }\, \left(3\, \times\, 13\right)^6\)\(\displaystyle \mbox{h. }\, \left(2\, \times\, 5\right)^4\)\(\displaystyle \mbox{i. }\, \left(5\, \times\, 7\right)^5\)

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, so you have a list of exercises, and are asked to rewrite each one in two different ways. To do the "repeated multiplication" part, try separating each problem into its components. For instance, the first problem is 58 * 53, so can you write out 58 in repeated multiplication form? Can you write out 53 in repeated multiplication form? Then how would you combine those two into one repeated multiplication problem? You can apply that same strategy to each of the problems.

But for the "Index notation" part, I'm afraid I'm of little help. "Index notation" is not a term with which I'm familiar. My guess is it's a term from your class. Can you tell us what your teacher means by "index notation?" The more specific you can be about what you're expected to do, the better advice we can give.

Simplify each of the following by first writing as repeated multiplication and then using index notation.

\(\displaystyle \mbox{a. }\, 5^8\, \times\, 5^3\)\(\displaystyle \mbox{b. }\, 7^2\, \times\, 7^6\)\(\displaystyle \mbox{c. }\, 4^8\, \times\, 4^5\)
\(\displaystyle \mbox{d. }\, \left(2^7\right)^3\)\(\displaystyle \mbox{e. }\, \left(11^3\right)^8\)\(\displaystyle \mbox{f. }\, \left(9^5\right)^3\)
\(\displaystyle \mbox{g. }\, \left(3\, \times\, 13\right)^6\)\(\displaystyle \mbox{h. }\, \left(2\, \times\, 5\right)^4\)\(\displaystyle \mbox{i. }\, \left(5\, \times\, 7\right)^5\)
can someone plz help
With which part are you needing assistance? Your class did the review on exponents (powers), you've refreshed online (such as here) regarding how to "expand" as repeated multiplication and "compress" using index notation, and... then what?

Please be complete, so we can see exactly where you're having difficulties. Thank you! ;)