Probability Puzzle: What are the chances that "Subject A" will call "Subject B"?

BigJohn

Probability Puzzle: What are the chances that "Subject A" will call "Subject B"?

Dear Friends:

I recently approached a university math professor with this puzzle, but she could not answer it or couldn't find the time. So, here goes nothing: What are the chances that "Subject A" will call "Subject B", the very second Subject B sits down at his desk?

Please be advised:

1. Neither Subject A nor Subject B knows that a study is being performed
  2. Subject A can only place one call to Subject B during a specific span of 99 consecutive days and nights (one ring only)
  3. Subject B can only sit at his desk during the same span of 99 consecutive days and nights (one second only)
  4. Both parties have 24 hour access to place a call or sit at desk
  5. Both parties operate on a random schedule, where one moment is not favored over another (during a 24-hour period)
  6. Subject A lives 12,000 miles from Subject B

So, what are the chances that Subject A calls Subject B at precisely the same moment that Subject B comes to rest in his chair?

Thanking you in advance - Big John

P.S. If you are able to figure this out, please share with me how you went about solving it. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Friends:

I recently approached a university math professor with this puzzle, but she could not answer it or couldn't find the time. So, here goes nothing: What are the chances that "Subject A" will call "Subject B", the very second Subject B sits down at his desk?

Please be advised:

1. Neither Subject A nor Subject B knows that a study is being performed
  2. Subject A can only place one call to Subject B during a specific span of 99 consecutive days and nights (one ring only)
  3. Subject B can only sit at his desk during the same span of 99 consecutive days and nights (one second only)
  4. Both parties have 24 hour access to place a call or sit at desk
  5. Both parties operate on a random schedule, where one moment is not favored over another (during a 24-hour period)
  6. Subject A lives 12,000 miles from Subject B

So, what are the chances that Subject A calls Subject B at precisely the same moment that Subject B comes to rest in his chair?

Thanking you in advance - Big John

P.S. If you are able to figure this out, please share with me how you went about solving it. Thank you.

What are your thoughts?

Please share your work with us ...even if you know it is wrong

If you are stuck at the beginning tell us and we'll start with the definitions.

You need to read the rules of this forum. Please read the post titled "
Read before Posting" at the following URL:

http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/th...Before-Posting