How can I find expected value with f(x) equaling multiple equations?

teetar

Hello, I'm trying to finds the mean and median of X, X being defined as a continuous random variable with probability density function:

f(x) = k(x+2)^2 , -2≤x<0
f(x) = k , 0≤x≤4/3
f(x)= 0, otherwise
where k = 1/8

In order to find the mean/expected value, I understand I should have to take the definite integral of xf(x), but I don't know how that should work with these two definitions of f(x). I should take the integral between -2 and 0 of xk(x+2)2 and the integral between 0 and 4/3 of xk, but how do I relate these in order to get the expected value of X?

Thanks for any help, and sorry for my shoddy formatting, I've completely forgotten LaTeX.

Hello, I'm trying to finds the mean and median of X, X being defined as a continuous random variable with probability density function:

f(x) = k(x+2)^2 , -2≤x<0
f(x) = k , 0≤x≤4/3
f(x)= 0, otherwise
where k = 1/8

In order to find the mean/expected value, I understand I should have to take the definite integral of xf(x), but I don't know how that should work with these two definitions of f(x). I should take the integral between -2 and 0 of xk(x+2)2 and the integral between 0 and 4/3 of xk, but how do I relate these in order to get the expected value of X?

Thanks for any help, and sorry for my shoddy formatting, I've completely forgotten LaTeX.

\(\displaystyle \int_a^b\, f(x)\, dx\) = \(\displaystyle \int_a^{c_1}\, f(x)\, dx\) + \(\displaystyle \int_{c_1}^{c_2}\, f(x)\, dx\) + \(\displaystyle \int_{c_2}^{c_3}\, f(x)\, dx\) + \(\displaystyle ...\, \int_{c_{n-1}}^{c_n}\, f(x)\, dx\) + \(\displaystyle \int_{c_n}^b\, f(x)\, dx\)