Fantasy Sports Draft Logic Problem

tomrippity

I am working on a project that requires a method for determining which player should be drafted in a fantasy football round. There are 2 criteria that must be adhered to and the other information is used to make the best decision. They are as follows:

Player Name
Player Cost (Each Player assigned a "point" cost)
Expected Point Production
Position

The criteria that must be met is as follows:
Pick 10 Positions
Stay Under 100 Total Cost
Must have 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Kicker, 1 Defense, 1 Flexible (WR or RB)

The goal is obviously to get as many expected points as possible, while not going over budget and filling all of the positions.

Is there a method that exists to determine something like this? Does anyone know the logic and could explain it to me? Thanks!

Edit: Changed the WR count. It was mistakenly set to 2 originally.

Last edited:
I am working on a project that requires a method for determining which player should be drafted in a fantasy football round. There are 2 criteria that must be adhered to and the other information is used to make the best decision. They are as follows:

You have defined Nine positions only!!

What are your thoughts?

Please share your work with us ...even if you know it is wrong

If you are stuck at the beginning tell us and we'll start with the definitions.

You need to read the rules of this forum. Please read the post titled "
Read before Posting" at the following URL:

http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/th...Before-Posting

Last edited by a moderator:
You have defined Nine positions only!!

What are your thoughts?

Please share your work with us ...even if you know it is wrong

If you are stuck at the beginning tell us and we'll start with the definitions.

I'm sorry, I should have put 3 WR instead of 2. My apologies.

The only thing I have determined are ways that simply do not work.
For example, I know I can't just take the player that is the most expensive that can still be afforded, because a cheaper player may actually be worth more points. I also know that I can't just take the best cost/point ratio because there are times when the position would warrant taking a high point, high cost player. These are all things that are fairly easy to determine for a human by eye balling a list of available players and comparing that to the number of purchase points still available.

Thanks!

I am working on a project that requires a method for determining which player should be drafted in a fantasy football round. There are 2 criteria that must be adhered to....
Nearly all the money in fantasy-football betting is made by a very few people who use tons of "criteria" and very complex formulations. Unless this is some sort of homework exercise, then what you're wanting is well beyond the scope of what is offered here. Sorry.

Nearly all the money in fantasy-football betting is made by a very few people who use tons of "criteria" and very complex formulations. Unless this is some sort of homework exercise, then what you're wanting is well beyond the scope of what is offered here. Sorry.

Not really true and, more importantly, not really relevant. The logic of what I am trying to do does not depend on the criteria that other people use.
However, they use many many criteria to determine the amount of points that are potentially going to be earned. After that it is all about getting the most points out of your budget.

For my purposes, you could assume that I am the only one playing the game and the logic is still complicated. How do I systematically get the most amount of points using the allotted budget?

It isn't a homework assignment as I am well out of school, but rather a problem I was just trying to solve out of curiosity.

Ended up finding the solution. Someone on another forum pointed me to the Knapsack Problem which then gave me the logic I needed to solve the problem. Thanks!