(x,y) Q: prob. pt. (x,y) inside square centered at (0,0) is <= 1 from origin

rakrak1998

If {-1<= x <= 1} and {-1<= y <= 1}, what is the probability of choosing an (x,y) point that has a distance less than or equal to one from the origin?

I said pi because that would the be area of the circle that has a radius of one. Am i correct?

If {-1<= x <= 1} and {-1<= y <= 1}, what is the probability of choosing an (x,y) point that has a distance less than or equal to one from the origin?

I said pi because that would the be area of the circle that has a radius of one. Am i correct?
For the "probability" to be \(\displaystyle \, \pi,\,\) the probability would have to be greater (much greater) than 100%. Since this is not possible, this cannot be the correct value.

However, you're on the right track. What is the area of the circle with radius r = 1 and centered at the origin? This is the area within which we want our point to be. What is the total area of the original square? This is the area within which our point could be.

What percent is the desired area of the total area? This is the desired probability. ;)

Whoops

Ohhh i see where i went wrong. I just took the SAT math subject test and i got it incorrect :(. What do you mean by the total area of the original square?

What do you mean by the total area of the original square?
Not taking the target (circular) area into account, what was the size of the square they gave you in the first place? ;)