Probability Question: 4 tiles have P, 3 tiles have E and 2 tiles have T.

Mary123

I need help with this..

A bag contains 9 letter tiles. 4 tiles have P, 3 tiles have E and 2 tiles have T. 3 tiles are selected without replacement. Calculate the probability that the word PET can be spelt with the 3 tiles.

I need help with this..

A bag contains 9 letter tiles. 4 tiles have P, 3 tiles have E and 2 tiles have T. 3 tiles are selected without replacement. Calculate the probability that the word PET can be spelt with the 3 tiles.

What are your thoughts?

Please share your work with us ...even if you know it is wrong

If you are stuck at the beginning tell us and we'll start with the definitions.

You need to read the rules of this forum. Please read the post titled "
Read before Posting" at the following URL:

http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/th...Before-Posting

A bag contains 9 letter tiles. 4 tiles have P, 3 tiles have E and 2 tiles have T. 3 tiles are selected without replacement. Calculate the probability that the word PET can be spelled with the 3 tiles.
Please note that this is sampling without replacement.
Without my going into details, look at this calculation.
See the term \(\displaystyle 9x^3\). That tells us that there are nine different samples of three selections.
Here are four of them:\(\displaystyle <P,P,P>,~<P,T,T>,~<E,E,T>,~\&~<T,E,P>\)
There is only one way to draw the first sample. So the probability is \(\displaystyle \dfrac{4}{9}\cdot\dfrac{3}{8}\cdot\dfrac{2}{7}\).

The second sample can be drawn in three ways: \(\displaystyle PTT,~TPT,~TTP\). So the probability is \(\displaystyle 3\cdot\dfrac{4}{9}\cdot\dfrac{2}{8}\cdot\dfrac{1}{7}\).

But only the last one can be rearranged to spell \(\displaystyle PET\)
So what is the probability of drawing the last one?

Answer show some work of your own.