I could really use a hand

ADeL

I was given this equation: x/x+5 = 2/x+5 - 2/3 and instructed to find the excluded value. I have tried to work through this problem and have failed to solve it on my own. If someone could provide a helping hand, I would be immensely grateful. Thanks.

I was given this equation: x/x+5 = 2/x+5 - 2/3 and instructed to find the excluded value. I have tried to work through this problem and have failed to solve it on my own. If someone could provide a helping hand, I would be immensely grateful. Thanks.

What are your thoughts?

Please share yourwork with us ...
even if you know it is wrong

If youare stuck at the beginning tell us and we'll start with the definitions.

You need to read the rules of this forum. Please read the post titled "
Read before Posting" at the followingURL:

http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/th...Before-Posting

Lets assume that is correct. So it is equivalent: \(\displaystyle 3x=6-2(x+5),~x\ne -5\).
Yes, but why the restriction? (The student was not asked to solve the equation; the student was asked to find "excluded values".)

To the original poster: What is your understanding of "excluded values" in this context? Thank you! ;)

Yes, but why the restriction? (The student was not asked to solve the equation; the student was asked to find "excluded values".)
What do you think \(\displaystyle x\ne -5\) means?

What do you think \(\displaystyle x\ne -5\) means?
It means that you gave the student the answer. However, I suspect that the student may not be aware of this, because the student doesn't understand the concept. It would, of course, be helpful to hear again from that student. :oops: