Could Someone Help Me With this Equation: x = -5, y = -2, y - 4 = -2(x + 3)

MathClown007

x = -5

y = -2

y - 4 = -2(x + 3)

I've come to this point, but it's wrong: y -4 = -2 (-5+3) then ... y -4 = -2.2 then ... y - 4 = 0 then finally y = 4.

Could someone help me? I don't know where I'm going wrong, but I think it's the (-5 + 3)
that is confusing me. Thanks for your help! :D

x = -5

y = -2

y - 4 = -2(x + 3)

I've come to this point, but it's wrong: y -4 = -2 (-5+3) then ... y -4 = -2.2 then ... y - 4 = 0 then finally y = 4.
I'm sorry, but I don't understand what the "equation" ("question"?) is meant to be...? Are you supposed to be finding a line equation that passes through the given point, (x, y) = (-5, -2)? Are you supposed to be testing if the given point lies on the line y - 4 = -2(x + 3)?

What was the exact text of the exercise? What were the instructions? How does what you've posted relate to that?

I think it's the (-5 + 3) that is confusing me.
What is "confusing" about this addition?

Please be complete. Thank you! ;)

x = -5

y = -2

y - 4 = -2(x + 3)

Could someone help me? I don't know where I'm going wrong, but I think it's the (-5 + 3)
that is confusing me. Thanks for your help! :D

Hi mate,

I've had a look at your post and I am a little confused as to what you are after here. As you have it the equation does not work.

Assume x = -5 and y = -2

Then

y - 4 = (-5)-4 = -9

and

2(x + 3) = 2 * ((-2) + 3) = 2 * 1 = 2

and of course, -9 != 2

So given the information you have there, it's not that you are getting something wrong - you just cannot use those values of x and y. Could you perhaps check the question you have or explain a little more about what you are trying to do. Perhaps they it might be possible to offer you a more informative answer.

LOL I saw in the following pages of the book that his was a "trick" question. Explains why it doesn't make sense. But thanks for your input, guys.