Linear Graph Equation Problem: x = -1, y = 7, y - 3 = 2 (x + 1)

MathClown007

x = -1

y = 7

Problem: y - 3 = 2 (x + 1)

1. 7 - 3 = 2x + 2

2. 4 = 2x + 2

3. 2 = 2x

4. 1=x

This is what I don't get: x = -1. Thus on the part titled "problem", should it cancel each other out? That is, (-1 + 1) should be 0. Where did the "2x" come from? And where did the "+ 2" come from? You have 2x + 2 but in the "problem" there is only ONE 2.

Thank you!

x = -1

y = 7

Problem: y - 3 = 2 (x + 1)
This looks exactly like the last one you posted (here), and I think we have the same questions:

What were the instructions for the problem? What are you supposed to be doing with the equation? How does the point (x, y) = (-1, 7) relate? How do your listed steps relate to the equation? What are you attempting to accomplish? Or is this another "trick" question, like the last one? If so, what is the "trick"? What, exactly, is your question?

Please be complete. Thank you! ;)

This looks exactly like the last one you posted (here), and I think we have the same questions:

What were the instructions for the problem? What are you supposed to be doing with the equation? How does the point (x, y) = (-1, 7) relate? How do your listed steps relate to the equation? What are you attempting to accomplish? Or is this another "trick" question, like the last one? If so, what is the "trick"? What, exactly, is your question?

Please be complete. Thank you! ;)

Thanks. I just figured it out. I just had to multiply the brackets first.