I think this a geometric sequence.

Ramset007

Consider the following sequence.

Assuming the sequence is denoted by A1 ,A2 ,A3 ,..., then AN= give an explicit formula for AN

I can find a recursive formula using the preceding terms but I am having trouble finding an explicit formula using 1 as the first term and N as a base. I’m not sure what r rate would be. I’m trying to fit into AN = A1 ᐧ rN .

Hope you can help
Kevin

Assuming the sequence is denoted by A1 ,A2 ,A3 ,..., then AN= give an explicit formula for AN

I can find a recursive formula using the preceding terms but I am having trouble finding an explicit formula using 1 as the first term and N as a base. I’m not sure what r rate would be. I’m trying to fit into AN = A1 ᐧ rN .

Hope you can help
Kevin

No - it is not a geometric sequence. The sequence does not have constant factor.

What is the recursive relation that you had found?

The recursive definition is: \(\displaystyle A_1=1\) & if \(\displaystyle n\ge 2\) then \(\displaystyle A_n=n\cdot A_{n-1}\).

Can you find the explicit formula?

The recursive definition is: \(\displaystyle A_1=1\) & if \(\displaystyle n\ge 2\) then \(\displaystyle A_n=n\cdot A_{n-1}\).

Can you find the explicit formula?

Is it simply An=n! ?

Do you use an editor or special cut and paste technique to do subscripts, >=, ect?
I checked FAQs and searched awhile on this site but had to go back to homework.

Kevin

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it simply An=n! ?
What did you see when you tried this formulation? Did it fit?

Do you use an editor or special cut and paste technique to do subscripts, >=, ect?
You can see a quick overview of basic commands for characters (like Greek letters or "plus-minus" signs) here. You can see a listing of formatting info here. Just enclose things in "tex" tags, and you'll be on your way!

Thanks everyone!

What did you see when you tried this formulation? Did it fit?

You can see a quick overview of basic commands for characters (like Greek letters or "plus-minus" signs) here. You can see a listing of formatting info here. Just enclose things in "tex" tags, and you'll be on your way!

Yes, N! was the correct answer to a homework question in a Pearson online math course.
Thanks everyone for the hints but not the answer. And thanks for the links to basic commands.

Math Geeks Rock!
Kevin