Help With Conditional Probability Question

Idonotknowmath

attachment.php
I'm trying to find out the probability of A given B. I understand the equation to be: P(A/B) = P(A and B)/P(B)
Assuming that's true, I don't know what I'm supposed to do with the given numbers in the attached picture. Add them? I added them all up and the divided them by what I got for P(B) and I just know it's not right. Help? Thank you.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2016-02-26 at 6.27.06 PM.png
    Screen shot 2016-02-26 at 6.27.06 PM.png
    14.4 KB · Views: 16
attachment.php
I'm trying to find out the probability of A given B. I understand the equation to be: P(A/B) = P(A and B)/P(B)
Assuming that's true, I don't know what I'm supposed to do with the given numbers in the attached picture. Add them? I added them all up and the divided them by what I got for P(B) and I just know it's not right. Help? Thank you.
\(\displaystyle \mathcal{P}(A\cap B)=.16\)

Hi, ty, but I'm not looking for the answer here, I'm looking for how you got it so I can actually learn it. Nor is that the correct answer, just so you know? Thank you.

attachment.php

Sometimes the easiest way to understand these kinds of questions is to take, say 100 samples [enough to make the given probabilities integers]. Now since we are given B we have 16 in both A and B and 22 in only B for a total of 38 in B. So, given B, are sample is narrowed to 38. The number in both A and B is 16. So, the probability of being in A given that we are in B is 16/38. Now we see where the formula comes from.
P(A given B) = 16/38 = .16/.38 = P(A and B) / P(B)

Hi, ty, but I'm not looking for the answer here, I'm looking for how you got it so I can actually learn it. Nor is that the correct answer, just so you know? Thank you.

pka did not give you the answer - look at it carefully.

He showed you the first step towards the answer. We were hoping you would know enough to get to the next step.

Yes, I can kind of see that now. Sorry for jumping the gun. Can you explain then why it's .16/.38 and why .39 (the sum of A) doesn't factor in here at all? This is alright for finding out THIS question … but I don't think I'll be able to remember it when they give me a whole new question and it's the same concept but it looks totally different.