Getting p-value

gottaget

Here is the question:

Last week, the BLC online database received 6802 queries. Does this fact provide evidence at a 1% significance level against the claim that the database receives on average 1000 queries per day?

I am not sure how to get the p-value if that is what I need. I do not need the answer per se (though it would be nice), I just need a way to figure it out.

All I have done is divided 6802 by 7 to get the amount of queries per day.

Also, it would be helpful to know how to do it in R.

Thanks.

Here is the question:

Last week, the BLC online database received 6802 queries. Does this fact provide evidence at a 1% significance level against the claim that the database receives on average 1000 queries per day?

I am not sure how to get the p-value if that is what I need. I do not need the answer per se (though it would be nice), I just need a way to figure it out.

All I have done is divided 6802 by 7 to get the amount of queries per day.

Also, it would be helpful to know how to do it in R.

Thanks.
What are your thoughts? What have you done so far? Please show us your work even if you feel that it is wrong so we may try to help you. You might also read
http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/threads/78006-Read-Before-Posting

Generally you would be using a one or two sided t-test (Students t) or a z-test (Normal) or, less common, an f-test (Fisher–Snedecor distribution). All of these tests require a second parameter in addition to the mean, your 6802 divided by 7, to compute a test statistic.