Percentage Q: Two seperate and unrelated surgeries each have a 94% cure rate....

Greenmountain

Two seperate and unrelated surgeries each have a 94% cure rate. What is the percentage that both surgeries are failures?

Thank you.

Two seperate and unrelated surgeries each have a 94% cure rate. What is the percentage that both surgeries are failures?

Thank you.

What are your thoughts?

Please share your work with us ...even if you know it is wrong

If you are stuck at the beginning tell us and we'll start with the definitions.

You need to read the rules of this forum. Please read the post titled "Read before Posting" at the following URL:

http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/th...Before-Posting

Sorrry. Just struggling through a medical problem and wanted someone much smarter than me to give me an answer.

What are your thoughts?

Please share your work with us ...even if you know it is wrong

If you are stuck at the beginning tell us and we'll start with the definitions.

You need to read the rules of this forum. Please read the post titled "Read before Posting" at the following URL:

http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/th...Before-Posting

...wanted someone much smarter than me to give me an answer.
Sorry, but we still don't "do" students' work for them, nor do we give out the answer. For further information, kindly please re-read the "Read Before Posting" announcement.

Two separate and unrelated surgeries each have a 94% cure rate. What is the percentage that both surgeries are failures?
Are you asking for the percentage of patients, receiving both of the surgeries, for which both of the surgeries are unsuccessful? If so, what is the failure rate for each surgery, individually? Assuming (in an utterly unrealistic manner) that the surgeries will in no way influence each other (as though bodies, anesthesia, etc, worked that way in real life), what then must be the percentage for "both fail" (or, which is the same thing, "neither succeeds")?

Use the formulas and methods they gave you in class. If you get stuck, please reply showing your thought and efforts so far. Thank you! ;)