It is estimated that 0.3% of a large population have a particular disease.

markosheehan

hi i cant work this out

Its is estimated that 0.3% of a large population have a particular disease. a test developed to detected the disease gives a false positive in 4% of tests and a false negative in 1% of tests. a person is tested positive for the disease. what is the probability that the person actually has the disease?

hi i cant work this out

Its is estimated that 0.3% of a large population have a particular disease. a test developed to detected the disease gives a false positive in 4% of tests and a false negative in 1% of tests. a person is tested positive for the disease. what is the probability that the person actually has the disease?

What are your thoughts?

Please share your work with us ...even if you know it is wrong

If you are stuck at the beginning tell us and we'll start with the definitions.

You need to read the rules of this forum. Please read the post titled "Read before Posting" at the following URL:

http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/th...Before-Posting

hi i cant work this out

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking. If it really is "what is the probability that the person actually has the disease?", isn't that the 0.3%? Is what you are asking really "what is the probability that a person tested negative actually has the disease?"

Assuming the latter, sometimes, to work a sadistics* problem, you can just start out with say, a 1000 [or 10000, or ...] sample experiment which follows the values exactly. Thus
\(\displaystyle \text{Total population Tested = 1000 }
\begin{cases}
False Positive& 40\\
False Negative& 10\\
True Negative& 9030\\
True Positive& 20
\end{cases}
\)
So, total number tested negative is? Number tested negative who actually have the disease?

BTW: Do you know what False Positive, False Negative, etc. mean?

*Yes! Sadistics

i was told my teacher that the answer is (probability of having the disease)/(probability the test is positive)
i can work out the probability of having the disease but i cant work out the probability of the test being positive

maths probability question

hi i cant work this out

i was told my teacher that the answer is (probability of having the disease)/(probability the test is positive)
i can work out the probability of having the disease(.003) but i cant work out the probability of the test being positive