2000 tickets sold for $1,539,500, some at $800, some at $550; how many of each?

Alf0ns

Hello, I have a very hard math problem. I can´t find the solution. here is the problem/question.

There are 2 different ticket-types for a music festival, the first type of them costs 800 dollars and the other costs 550 dollars. 2000 tickets were sold that day. They all together costs 1539500 dollars. How many of each ticket were there?

I find impossible to solve with an equation. But i got the answer by guessing. I think there are 242 of the 550 dollar tickets and 1758 of the 800 dollar ticket. I could be wrong. Help appreciated. <3 <3 <3

English isn't my mother tongue, so please no haterino :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, here is the problem/question.

There are 2 different ticket-types for a musicfestival, the first type of them costs 800 dollars and the other costs 550 dollars. 2000 tickets were sold that day. They all together costs 1539500 dollars. How many of each ticket were there?

I find impossible to solve with an equation. But i got the answer by guessing. I think there are 242 of the 550 dollar tickets and 1758 of the 800 dollar ticket. I could be wrong. Help appreciated. <3 <3 <3

English isn´t my mothertoungh so please no haterino :(

Let the # of $800 tickets sold = E

Let the # of $500 tickets sold = F

Then

E + F = 2000 ............................................(1)

and

800*E + 500*F = 1539500

Now solve for E and F

Looks to be same problem as in:

http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/t...t-and-my-teacher-couldn-t-solve-this-question

Let the # of $800 tickets sold = E

Let the # of $500 tickets sold = F

Then

E + F = 2000 ............................................(1)

and

800*E + 500*F = 1539500

Now solve for E and F
But how am I supposed to "solve" it ? :p

Thanks, just another question. What grade (in school) would you think this problem "belongs" in?

Last edited by a moderator:
But how am I supposed to "solve" it ?
If you don't know how to solve this with two variables, then use whatever method they taught you (in class and in your book) for one variable. (here, for example)

What grade (in school) would you think this problem "belongs" in?
That will vary with the school and the student. My kid was doing stuff like this (in the "Singapore Math" curriculum) without variables in grade school. Some students don't reach algebra until college (as a remedial course). But this is generally regarded as beginning (or "introductory") algebra, so probably middle school or early high school. ;)