Finding Square Routes of Fractions

freemathhelpuser

To find the square route of 64/520 (64/520^(1/2)), we would find the square route of 64 and the square route of 520. The answer would be 8/64, or 1/8.

What if we had an equation where someone needed first to take the fraction to its simplest terms, then find the square route of those simplest terms? Meaning, how would we demonstrate, writing 64/520, that we are actually wanting the person to find the square route of 1/8?

To find the square route of 64/520 (64/520^(1/2)), we would find the square route of 64 and the square route of 520. The answer would be 8/64, or 1/8.

What if we had an equation where someone needed first to take the fraction to its simplest terms, then find the square route of those simplest terms? Meaning, how would we demonstrate, writing 64/520, that we are actually wanting the person to find the square route of 1/8?
I cannot understand your question!!

√(520) = 2 * √(13) * √5 * √2

on the other hand

(64)^2 = 4096

So

√(64/520) = √(8/65)

Please review your post and correct it accordingly.

To find the square route...
I'm gonna guess that you mean the square "root" (such as here).

...of 64/520 (64/520^(1/2)),...
I'm gonna guess that you mean "(64/520)^(1/2)", since otherwise the square root is only on the denominator (the 520), not the entire fraction.

...we would find the square route of 64 and the square route of 520. The answer would be 8/64, or 1/8.
The square root of 64 is 8, but the square root of 520 is not 64, so I can't guess what you're meaning here...?

What if we had an equation where someone needed first to take the fraction to its simplest terms, then find the square route of those simplest terms?
Um... so what? Do the simplification, and then find the square root. What, specifically, is the issue?

Meaning, how would we demonstrate, writing 64/520, that we are actually wanting the person to find the square route of 1/8?
Since 64/520 is not equal to the square root of 1/8 (which is "1/(2sqrt[2])", by the way), there is no (mathematically valid) "formula" which would "demonstrate" ("indicate", maybe?) this desire.

Please reply with the full and exact text of the exercise in question, along with a clear statement of your thoughts and reasoning so far, as this information will be very helpful to us in figuring out what you're talking about. Thank you! ;)

I made one mistake and also it is not so easy when there is no way to draw square route symbols, etc in the forum. What I meant to have said is (64/4096)^(1/2). The textbooks teach that this is the same as (64^(1/2))/(4096^1/2)). If we simply did this, we would get 8/64, which we can find to equal 1/8. What would happen if there was some formula that someone needed to follow to find a result; that math resulted in a fraction that wasn't in its simplest terms; and getting the correct answer required taking it to simplest terms before finding its square route. In other words how would we demonstrate with 64/4096, that we want the person doing the work to find (1/8)^(1/2)?

Alright. I hope you'll bear with me, as I am still quite confused as to what you are asking. You say that your textbook teaches that the square root of a fraction is equal to the square root of the numerator over the square root of the denominator. And that's absolutely true. The only time that wouldn't be true is if the numerator and/or the denominator is negative (as the square root of a negative number is undefined). Using that rule, you apply to it to a specific example:

\(\displaystyle \sqrt{\strut \dfrac{64}{4096}\,}\, =\, \dfrac{\sqrt{\strut 64\,}}{\sqrt{\strut 4096\,}}\,=\,\dfrac{8}{64}\,=\,\dfrac{1}{8}\)

But it's after this that I get confused. You ask "What would happen if there was some formula that someone needed to follow to find a result; that math resulted in a fraction that wasn't in its simplest terms; and getting the correct answer required taking it to simplest terms before finding its square [root]?" Now, why I'm confused about this is that it doesn't matter at all if you simplify before or after taking a square root. You'll get the same answer regardless. As another example, let's look at 1296/11664. First, we'll simply to get 1/9.

\(\displaystyle \sqrt{\strut \dfrac{1}{9}\,}\, = \,\dfrac{\sqrt{\strut 1\,}}{\sqrt{\strut 9\,}}\, = \,\dfrac{1}{3}\)

We'll do it again, but take the square root first.

\(\displaystyle \dfrac{\sqrt{\strut 1296\,}}{\sqrt{\strut 11664\,}}\,=\,\dfrac{\sqrt{\strut 1296\,}}{\sqrt{\strut 11664\,}}\,=\,\dfrac{36}{108}\,=\,\dfrac{1}{3}\)

As for your last sentence, "In other words how would we demonstrate with 64/4096, that we want the person doing the work to find (1/8)^(1/2)?" If you want the person to find the square root of 1/8, then you'd need to ask them to take the square root of the square root, or the fourth root, of 64/4096. That is to say:

\(\displaystyle \sqrt{\strut \sqrt{\strut \dfrac{64}{4096}\,}\,}\,=\,\sqrt[4]{\strut \dfrac{64}{4096}\,}\,=\,\sqrt{\strut \dfrac{1}{8}\,}\)

Last edited by a moderator:
What I am trying to say is how would we communicate, using 64/4096, that we actually want someone to find the square route of the fraction at its simplest terms, which is 1/8?

I could see a situation where a formula is developed to find a solution to a problem and such formula could require that one take the square root of a fraction AFTER it has been reduced to simplest terms.

Also, how do you post fraction symbols other then "/" in the forum?

What I am trying to say is how would we communicate, using 64/4096, that we actually want someone to find the square route of the fraction at its simplest terms, which is 1/8?
You would instruct the student to "Find the square root of the given fraction, and state that root in simplest form."

I could see a situation where a formula is developed to find a solution to a problem and such formula could require that one take the square root of a fraction AFTER it has been reduced to simplest terms.
Then you would instruct the student to "Find the square root of the given fraction by first reducing the fraction to simplest terms and only then taking the square root."

Also, how do you post fraction symbols other then "/" in the forum?
Use LaTeX. For instance, this coding:

Code:
[tex]\dfrac{1}{8}[/tex]

...results in:

. . . . .\(\displaystyle \dfrac{1}{8}\)

;)

So there is no symbol that would be used in a math formula to communicate that one is to first take the fraction to simplest terms?