The number of books in a class library is 17 more than 3 times the number of students

Nodus

Hello! I came to this website to seek help for this tedious Maths question that has been bugging me for the past 2 weeks. If anyone kind soul could help, please briefly explain it and workings may be useful too! :p Thanks for reading this thread overall, here's the question!:

"The number of books in a class library is 17 more than 3 times the number of students in the class. If 5 students are absent, each student can borrow exactly 4 books from the library. Find the number of students in the class."

~ Nodus

Hello! I came to this website to seek help for this tedious Maths question that has been bugging me for the past 2 weeks. If anyone kind soul could help, please briefly explain it and workings may be useful too!
I'm sorry, but the policy you saw remains in effect; namely, we don't "do" students' work for them, nor do we give out the answers. For further information, please re-read the "Read Before Posting" announcement.

"The number of books in a class library is 17 more than 3 times the number of students in the class. If 5 students are absent, each student can borrow exactly 4 books from the library. Find the number of students in the class."
a) Pick a variable for the unknown number of students. (here)

b) Create an expression, in terms of the variable in (a), for "three times" the number of students. (here)

c) Create an expression, in terms of the expression in (b), for "seventeen more than" three times the number of students.

Note that, when five students are absent, the number of books is four times the number of students.

d) Create an expression, in terms of the expression in (c), for "five less than" seventeen more than three times the number of students.

e) Create an expression, in terms of the variable in (a), for "four times" the number of students.

f) Use the information in the "Note" above to create an equation.

g) Solve the equation for the value of the variable. (here)

If you get stuck, please reply showing your progress. Thank you! ;)