This quarter, there is a 52% chance that Jason will pass Accounting, a 70% chance tha

Krenoshi

This quarter, there is a 52% chance that Jason will pass Accounting, a 70% chance that he
will pass English, and 84% chance that he will pass at least one of these two courses. What is
the probability that he will pass both Accounting and English?

I really have no Idea how to do this but I was thinking it would be something like this..

P(85) = P(52)+P(70)-P(x) => P(x)=P(122)-P(85) => P(x)=P(38) => So the chances of him passing both classes is 38%? This sounds like a such a low number and most likely wrong XD

Last edited:
This quarter, there is a 52% chance that Jason will pass Accounting, a 70% chance that he
will pass English, and 84% chance that he will pass at least one of these two courses. What is

What are your thoughts?

Please share your work with us ...even if you know it is wrong

If you are stuck at the beginning tell us and we'll start with the definitions.

You need to read the rules of this forum. Please read the post titled "Read before Posting" at the following URL:

http://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/announcement.php?f=33

ops

Well I really am not sure how to do this. So I am assuming the equation is like this? P(a or b)=P(a)+P(b)-P(a and b), so does that mean

P(84%)=P(52%)+P(70%)-P(a and b)
P(a and b)=P(52%)+P(70%)-P(84%)=P(38%)

Just doesn't seem right that he has a 38% chance of passing both...

\(\displaystyle \mathcal{P}(A\cup E)=\mathcal{P}(A)+\mathcal{P}( E)-\mathcal{P}(A\cap E) \)

Last edited:
\(\displaystyle \mathsc{P}(A\cup E)=\mathsc{P}(A)+\mathsc{P}( E)-\mathsc{P}(A\cap E) \)

Is the LaTeX compiler down?

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle{\int_0^2 x^2 dx \ = \ ?}\)

Works okay now.....

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle{\int_0^2 x^2 dx \ = \ ?}\)

Works okay now.....
\(\displaystyle \mathsc{P}(A\cup E)=\)\(\displaystyle \mathsc{P}(A)+\mathsc{P}( E)-\mathsc{P}(A\cap E) \)
\(\displaystyle {P}(A\cup E)=\)\(\displaystyle {P}(A)+{P}( E)-{P}(A\cap E) \)
LaTeX compiler down for me.

Last edited:
[FONT=Verdana][/FONT][FONT=Verdana]\mathsc{P}(A\cup E)=[/FONT][FONT=Verdana]\mathsc{P}(A)+[/FONT][FONT=Verdana]\mathsc{P}( E)-[/FONT][FONT=Verdana]\mathsc{P}(A\cap E)[/FONT][FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]

Is the LaTeX compiler down?
You've got "font" tags, etc, inside your "tex" tags. (It's the forum script, not you.) ;)

pka said:
Please you try to post this code:
[COLOR=#3E3E3E][FONT=Verdana]P(A\cup E)=P[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#3E3E3E][FONT=Verdana](A)+[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#3E3E3E][FONT=Verdana]P( E)-[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#3E3E3E][FONT=Verdana]P(A\cap E)[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#3E3E3E][FONT=Verdana]

There is no font code in it. But yet it still will compile for me.[/FONT][/COLOR]
Yep, there's still "font" tags, etc, within the coding. (I copied and pasted directly from your message to me.) :oops:

Try highlighting all the text ("tex" and otherwise) inside your message, and clicking on the "no format" button (the A's with the red "X", in the upper left-hand corner of the formatting buttons). When you do that, you should get:

pka said:
Please you try to post this code:
\(\displaystyle P(A\cup E)=P(A)+P( E)-P(A\cap E) \)

There is no font code in it. But yet it still will compile for me.
;)