Help for advertising campaign

Singto

Hey everyone!
I need some help for a work related problem. I am working on a advertising campaign, and I need to optimize my distribution of flyers to reach a specific target of people. Flyers will be distributed randomly in mailboxes by the postal service.
I have a list of neighborhood, along with the total number of mailboxes in the neighborhood, and the targeted population in the neighborood (in this case possessors of vehicles immatriculated before 1997). As I have a limited number of flyers, I need to know the probability that I reach this targeted population in each area.
So for exemple, I have:
-neighborhood 1: 100,000 mailboxes; 5,000 possessors of pre-1997 vehicules
-neighborhood 2: 50,000 mailboxes; 3,000 possessors of pre-1997 vehicules
-neighborhood 3: 4,000 maiboxes; 500 possessors of pre-1997 vehicules

I have 20,000 flyers to distribute at random over these 3 different neighborhood. How do I decide how many fliers to dedicate to each area so as to maximize the number of old-car owners that will receive a flyer in there mailbox?

I know it should be possible to calculate this using a Poisson or normal law maybe? My mathematics got quite rusty since I left high school so I need some advice on that one.

Thanks immensely for your help!

Hey everyone!
I need some help for a work related problem. I am working on a advertising campaign, and I need to optimize my distribution of flyers to reach a specific target of people. Flyers will be distributed randomly in mailboxes by the postal service.
I have a list of neighborhood, along with the total number of mailboxes in the neighborhood, and the targeted population in the neighborood (in this case possessors of vehicles immatriculated before 1997). As I have a limited number of flyers, I need to know the probability that I reach this targeted population in each area.
So for exemple, I have:
-neighborhood 1: 100,000 mailboxes; 5,000 possessors of pre-1997 vehicules
-neighborhood 2: 50,000 mailboxes; 3,000 possessors of pre-1997 vehicules
-neighborhood 3: 4,000 maiboxes; 500 possessors of pre-1997 vehicules

I have 20,000 flyers to distribute at random over these 3 different neighborhood. How do I decide how many fliers to dedicate to each area so as to maximize the number of old-car owners that will receive a flyer in there mailbox?

I know it should be possible to calculate this using a Poisson or normal law maybe? My mathematics got quite rusty since I left high school so I need some advice on that one.

Thanks immensely for your help!
also posted in:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/help-with-marketing-campaign.878065/

You are posing this problem as a real world problem from a business - yet the numbers are very "home-work" like.

What level of statistics have you taken in high school? Do you know how to calculate expected values from a given distribution?

Last edited by a moderator: