Checking reliability of simulation outcome

casta

Hi guys,

I have worked on a simulation program, which represents an actual working process. For this working process, certain performance indicators are computed, like utilization, throughput. My model also computes these performance indicators. What I would like to know is whether the performance of my model is close enough to the real model.

For instance:
Throughput model: 1.584 orders per hour
Throughput actual situation: 1.65 orders per hour
Utilization model: 80.0%
Utilization actual situation: 75.4%

What method could I use to apply this validation? We are talking about approximately 500 orders per day.

Hi guys,

I have worked on a simulation program, which represents an actual working process. For this working process, certain performance indicators are computed, like utilization, throughput. My model also computes these performance indicators. What I would like to know is whether the performance of my model is close enough to the real model.

For instance:
Throughput model: 1.584 orders per hour
Throughput actual situation: 1.65 orders per hour
Utilization model: 80.0%
Utilization actual situation: 75.4%

What method could I use to apply this validation? We are talking about approximately 500 orders per day.
That question will be answered differently for different end-use. For example if you are looking at a "restaurant" - that could be close enough. However, if you are looking at say manufacturing of very expensive critical material - that simulation may be inadequate.

Yes, I am slightly aware of that. I know I could just say that it is close enough, based on my view on the importance. I wondered whether there would be statistical methods that could just provide something like a confidence interval on how close/far my values may be compared to the actual values