Probability - multinomial? Imagine please I take 100 colored balls from a bag. Each b

kepler

Good evening,

Imagine please I take 100 colored balls from a bag. Each ball can be either one of the 4 following colors: red, blue, violet or green (like magic; there are no specific amount of red balls, or blues, etc.)

So, the probability of a particular ball be red is of 1/4

After I retrieved the 100 balls, I found myself, for instance, with 40 red, 25 blue and the rest (35) green or violet (doesn't matter).

My question is: How do I do the math? What are the odds of having 40 red and 25 blue?

Certainly they are different if I had got 30 red, and 35 blue (closer of the probability average 25).

I think this is a multinomial problem. If that's the case, will p, the answer, be:

p = 100! / (40! * 25! * 35!) * (1/4)^40 * (1/4)^25 * (1 - (1/4)*2)^35

My doubt, if this is the right answer, is in the probability factors: are they all equal to 1/4,even the 3th one, or is this last one equal to 0.5 (1-(1/2)*2)?

Kind regards,

Kepler

Imagine please I take 100 colored balls from a bag. Each ball can be either one of the 4 following colors: red, blue, violet or green (like magic; there are no specific amount of red balls, or blues, etc.)

Sorry but that one piece makes the whole question nonsense.

YOU posted that: read it...
Kind of silly, isn't it?

Hi,

One thing is to calculate a probability case of 100 balls, where exists 25 of each color.
Other, is to calculate a probability on 100 balls, where there can be an amount of each color we do not know (like 99 red and 1 green - and zero of the others).

Don't you agree?

Either way, problem solved. It's a multinomial problem.

Cheers,

Kepler