Suppose that a salesperson succeeds in making a sale with one in every 3 potential...

lazarusimeon

(b) Suppose that a salesperson succeeds in making a salewith one in every three potential customers contacted.During a particular week, ten new potentialcustomers are contacted. Find the probability that thesalesperson will succeed in making: (i) More than two sales. (5 marks)(ii) At least two sales. (5 marks)(c) On average, three people per hour enter a furnitureshop. In any given hour, find the probability thatmore than three people will enter the shop

Last edited by a moderator:
(b) Suppose that a sales person succeeds in making a sale with one in every three potential customers contacted. During a particular week, ten new potential customers are contacted. Find the probability that the salesperson will succeed in making:

(i) More than two sales.
(ii) At least two sales.

(c) On average, three people per hour enter a furniture shop. In any given hour, find the probability that more than three people will enter the shop
What are your thoughts? What have you tried? How far have you gotten? Where are you stuck?

Please be complete. Thank you! ;)

i have tried but still struggling so far

Okay, great! But what, specifically, have you tried? And where are you still struggling? The more specific you can be about what's giving you difficulties, the better our answers will be. Please include all of your work, even if you know it's wrong. Thank you.

im struggling to come up with the formular

Attachments

• IMG_20160821_181006.jpg
    IMG_20160821_181006.jpg
    361.1 KB · Views: 9
(i) p(x>2) 9/10=0.9 cuz 1 sale =3 potential customers, so in order to make more than two sale there must 6 customers or more.
(ii) at least two sale
6/10=0.6

(b) Suppose that a salesperson succeeds in making a salewith one in every three potential customers contacted.

This means that the probability of making a sale is 1/3. (It means that, on average, he makes one sale from three potential customers. it doesn't mean that there has to be 6 people to get 2 sales (as you have interpreted it)).

There are two possibilities - he makes a sale OR he doesn't. Two possibilities suggest a "binomial distribution". p=1/3 and q=2/3 (I assume you have learnt about this.)

During a particular week, ten new potentialcustomers are contacted. n=10

Now have a go at the questions.

Find the probability that thesalesperson will succeed in making:
(i) More than two sales. (5 marks)
(ii) At least two sales. (5 marks)
(c) On average, three people per hour enter a furnitureshop. In any given hour, find the probability thatmore than three people will enter the shop
see comments in red

is this correct

Attachments

• 20160912_220554.jpg
    20160912_220554.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 20160912_220636.jpg
    20160912_220636.jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 17
this one

attachment.php

Attachments