Productivity Reporting (sales $'s per man hour) - for our distribution center.

JillW

Hello - I'm brand new here ... reaching out for help because I'm stumped! ;)

I have been asked to run a daily report at work that calculates productivity (sales $'s per man hour) - for our distribution center.

We ship product for three separate sales business units and each unit has a budgeted $ per man hour that I am working with.

For example:

Business A = $745 / hr (.23)
Business B = $2200 / hr (.68)
Business C = $280 / hr (.08)

The combined $'s per man hour = $1697 (if I've calculated the weighted averages correctly).

Each day I will run actual $'s shipped with actual hours worked and report the daily $'s per man hour for each business unit (each day the combined $'s per man hour will be a weighted average based on actual $'s shipped by each division)

The rub comes in with the monthly running total for the combined $'s per man hour.

Can you please explain how it should be calculated? My co-worker and I have different opinions ... :D

I am unsure if that total would be a simple calculation of total hours worked month to date divided into total $'s shipped month to date ... or if something different needs to be done since the daily data is based on a weighted average.

I hope this makes sense and truly appreciate any help someone might give!!

TIA!!

I have been asked to run a daily report at work that calculates productivity (sales $'s per man hour) - for our distribution center.
Does "$'s" stand here for "revenues"?

We ship product for three separate sales business units and each unit has a budgeted $ per man hour that I am working with.
For what does "$" stand, in this instance?

For example:

What is the significance of the parenthetical values? (This is probably included in the instructions for this exercise.)

The combined $'s per man hour = $1697 (if I've calculated the weighted averages correctly).
For what does "$'s" stand, in this instance? How did you arrive at your "combined" value? How is "combined" defined, specifically and mathematically?

Each day I will run actual $'s shipped....
Since sales often don't occur on the same day as shipments, what is the specific relationship we should assume between the first (and other) "$", related to sales, and this "$'s", related to shipments?

...with actual hours worked and report the daily $'s per man hour for each business unit (each day the combined $'s per man hour will be a weighted average based on actual $'s shipped by each division)
Please provide the specific formula(s), especially as related to the parenthetical relation.

The rub comes in with the monthly running total for the combined $'s per man hour.
What do you mean, exactly, by "monthly running total"? What do you mean, exactly, by "combined $'s per man hour"?

Thank you! ;)

Hello - I'm brand new here ... reaching out for help because I'm stumped! ;)

For example:

Each day I will run actual $'s shipped with actual hours worked and report the daily $'s per man hour for each business unit (each day the combined $'s per man hour will be a weighted average based on actual $'s shipped by each division)

Can you please explain how it should be calculated? My co-worker and I have different opinions ... :D

I am unsure if that total would be a simple calculation of total hours worked month to date divided into total $'s shipped month to date ... or if something different needs to be done since the daily data is based on a weighted average.

I hope this makes sense and truly appreciate any help someone might give!!

TIA!!
As stapel indicates, there are several questions which need to be answered before your question can be answered. My set of questions would be

(1) Why weighted and weighted against what? [the .23, .68, and .08 add to 0.99 but are possibly rounded and should add to one]. I would assume [be careful with that word] the
means something like Business A shipped $745 per man-hour over some length of time.

(2) What kind of answer do you want for your running average, actual Sales Dollars per Hour or weighted Sales Dollars per Hour?

(3) What are the final figures to be used for and will they make sense? This really ties back into (1) and (2).

(4) Finally, since you are running a spread sheet anyway, why can't you run both and possibly see which more fairly represents work being done.