Probability: A bag contains only red and blue marbles. Yasmine takes one marble...

Sharon3431

Hi everyone.
I got the right answer to this, but only through experimentation. Eg 1 4 5; 2, 8, 10; 3, 12, 15; 4, 16, 20;
5, 20, 25; so adding 5 here to the Reds gives me the right fraction. Can someone please show me how to do this algebraically?
Thanks

A bag contains only red and blue marbles.
Yasmine takes one marble at random from the bag.The probability that she takes a red marble is
page42image2448
1/5.

Yasmine returns the marble to the bag and adds five more red marbles to the bag.The probability that she takes one red marble at random is now 1/3.

How many marbles of each colour were originally in the bag?

Hi everyone.
I got the right answer to this, but only through experimentation. Eg 1 4 5; 2, 8, 10; 3, 12, 15; 4, 16, 20;
5, 20, 25; so adding 5 here to the Reds gives me the right fraction. Can someone please show me how to do this algebraically?
Thanks

Yasmine takes one marble at random from the bag.The probability that she takes a red marble is
page42image2448
1/5.

Yasmine returns the marble to the bag and adds five more red marbles to the bag.The probability that she takes one red marble at random is now 1/3.

The P(red)= 1/5 could have come from 2/10 (meaning that there are 10 marbles with 2 being red) or could have come from 3/15 (meaning that there are 15 marbles with 3 being red)... or could have come from n/5n (meaning that there are 5n marbles with n being red).

After adding 5 more red marbles we know there are 5n+5 marbles and n+5 are red. Can you continue from here?

page42image2448
1/5.
Solve these for \(\displaystyle R~\&~B\) in:
\(\displaystyle \dfrac{R}{R+B}=\dfrac{1}{5}\) AND \(\displaystyle \dfrac{R+5}{R+5+B}=\dfrac{1}{3}\).

Thanks Jomo

Last edited:
Solve these for \(\displaystyle R~\&~B\) in:
\(\displaystyle \dfrac{R}{R+B}=\dfrac{1}{5}\) AND \(\displaystyle \dfrac{R}{R+5+B}=\dfrac{1}{3}\).
Nice, but in the 2nd fraction the numerator should be R+5