Probability help: There are k species of fish known to be present in a body of water.

pomann

Hello there i am working on this question:
There are k species of fish known to be present in a body of water. A marine biologist studying the marine life in the water catches n fish in a net with the aim of catching fish from as many species as possible. What is the probability that of all fish caught, none are from the same species?
For example, if there are 200 species of fish known to be present in a body of water. A marine biologist studying the marine life in the water catches 20 fish in a net. What is the probability that none of the fish in the net are of the same species as another fish caught?

i know that: if n > k the probability is 0%
: if n = 1 the probability is 100%

i am having trouble when 1 < n < k

if you can point me in the right direction i would really appreciate it or if you feel generous the answer would lit my day ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello there i am working on this question:
There are k species of fish known to be present in a body of water. A marine biologist studying the marine life in the water catches n fish in a net with the aim of catching fish from as many species as possible. What is the probability that of all fish caught, none are from the same species?
For example, if there are 200 species of fish known to be present in a body of water. A marine biologist studying the marine life in the water catches 20 fish in a net. What is the probability that none of the fish in the net are of the same species as another fish caught?

i know that: if n > k the probability is 0%
: if n = 1 the probability is 100%

i am having trouble when 1 < n < k

if you can point me in the right direction i would really appreciate it or if you feel generous the answer would lit my day ;-)
As stated, you have no relation between "# of species of fish" (s) and fish caught. All we can say 1≤s≤k.

Please post the EXACT and COMPLETE problem along with your attempts.

Last edited by a moderator:

As stated, you have no relation between "# of species of fish" (s) and fish caught. All we can say 1≤s≤k.

Please post the EXACT and COMPLETE problem along with your attempts.