Cube's Volume

• Thread starter Deleted member 4993
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4993

Note to readers: The original poster for this thread, qcbrink, posted in reply to the following old thread. The two postings have now been joined.

Can someone please help me with this problem...

The volume of a cube is equal to four times the area of one of its faces. What is the volume of the cube if one of the lengths is x inches?

I'm not understanding why the answer is 64 cubic inches.

Thank you for your help!

Assume that the side of cube = x

Then

Volume of the cube V = x3

area of one face = x2

then

x3 = 4 * x2

Now solve for 'x' and then V.

Last edited by a moderator:
cube's volume is equal to 4 times the area of 1 of its faces.

[FONT=LearnosityMath, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]The volume of the cube is equal to four times the area of one of its faces. What is the volume of the cube?[/FONT]

[FONT=LearnosityMath, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]None of the values are provided. There is a picture of a cube with one of the edges marked x in. How do you find the volume if none of the values are provided? [/FONT]

How do you solve for x in this situation? Would you find the square root of 4x2

Assume that the side of cube =x2

Then

area of one face = x2

then

x3 = 4 * x2

Last edited:
The catch here is that you only need one value to be provided, because you know it's a cube. In a cube, all side lengths are the same - in this case, they're the same unknown value x, so your volume will be a function of x, rather than a number.

But there are no values provided. This is how I set it up...
Volume=4(x*x)
V=4x*4x
V= 16x^2
V=4(16x^2)
V=64in^3

I ended up with the correct answer but don't know if I went about it right.
The catch here is that you only need one value to be provided, because you know it's a cube. In a cube, all side lengths are the same - in this case, they're the same unknown value x, so your volume will be a function of x, rather than a number.

That could be the correct process, and it's good that you arrived at the correct answer. But I'm hesitant to say for sure without seeing the supplied picture myself - it could just be a coincidence.

But there are no values provided. This is how I set it up...

Define your variable: Let x = the length of the edge of the cube

Volume=4(x*x) \(\displaystyle \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \)from the given information

V=4x*4x\(\displaystyle \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \)That's not equal to the expression immediately above.

V= 16x^2

V=4(16x^2)\(\displaystyle \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \)That's also not equal to the expression immediately above.

V=64in^3

I ended up with the correct answer but don't know if I went about it right.

\(\displaystyle V \ = \ 4x^2 \ \ \ and \ \ \ V \ = \ x^3 \) \(\displaystyle \ \ \ \ \ \) (from the volume of a cube equals its edge cubed)

Set \(\displaystyle \ \ x^3 \ \ equal \ \ to \ \ 4x^2, \ \ \) and solve for the positive value of x:

\(\displaystyle x^3 \ = \ 4x^2\)

\(\displaystyle x^3 - 4x^2 = 0 \)

Can you continue on this route?

Last edited:

No. Factor out the greatest common factor and continue.

\(\displaystyle x^3 - 4x^2 = 0\)

\(\displaystyle ?(? \ - \ ?) = 0\)

The left side of the equation is some number x multiplied by itself three times . The right hand side of the equation is 4 times a number x multiplied by itself 2 times.

Fill in the squares with the same number.

\(\displaystyle \Huge_\Box * \Huge_\Box * \Huge_\Box = 4*\Huge_\Box * \Huge_\Box\)

Clearly that number is 4.

\(\displaystyle V \ = \ 4x^2 \ \ \ and \ \ \ V \ = \ x^3 \) \(\displaystyle \ \ \ \ \ \) (from the volume of a cube equals its edge cubed)

Set \(\displaystyle \ \ x^3 \ \ equal \ \ to \ \ 4x^2, \ \ \) and solve for the positive value of x:

\(\displaystyle x^3 \ = \ 4x^2\)
From this point I would note that x= 0 makes both sides 0 but that does not give a "cube".
If x is not 0, we can divide both sides by \(\displaystyle x^2\) to get x= 4.

\(\displaystyle x^3 - 4x^2 = 0 \)

Can you continue on this route?

Note to readers: The original poster for this thread, qcbrink, posted in reply to the following old thread. The two postings have now been joined.
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by sjsfan01Can someone please help me with this problem...

The volume of a cube is equal to four times the area of one of its faces. What is the volume of the cube if one of the lengths is x inches?

I'm not understanding why the answer is 64 cubic inches.

Thank you for your help!

Assume that the side of cube = x

Then

area of one face = x2

then

x3 = 4 * x2

x3 = 4 * x2

Since x\(\displaystyle \ne\)0 → divide both sides by x2. We get

x3/x2 = 4 * x2/x2

Leading to: