Equality of quantities: if 5 [bird] =8[legs] can i conclude At each 5 bird i would have 8 legs?

Ryan$

logics: can I assume that "equal" is concrete case of "different"?

Hi guys; I want to verify about something that I'm taking it into consideration but maybe it's wrong ; can I assume that "equal" is concrete case of "different"? because since we want to solve problem we are looking at it in general; I mean in differently ; in other words we are not assume a concrete cases but we are making it in general..

so in that case can I assume that different is a general case of "equal"?
for example; if I want to solve a problem I solve it in general in other words "any case" must be my solutions satisfied .. so "any case" means in different cases and not a specific/concrete case to take to solve a problem; so we must look at problem in "different" cases .. my question in that aspect the different cases is overwhelm "equal" case . right?

I can't make heads or tails out of this. Can you give an example of the kind of problem you are trying to solve?

Hi guys; I want to verify about something that I'm taking it into consideration but maybe it's wrong ; can I assume that "equal" is concrete case of "different"? because since we want to solve problem we are looking at it in general; I mean in differently ; in other words we are not assume a concrete cases but we are making it in general..

so in that case can I assume that different is a general case of "equal"?
for example; if I want to solve a problem I solve it in general in other words "any case" must be my solutions satisfied .. so "any case" means in different cases and not a specific/concrete case to take to solve a problem; so we must look at problem in "different" cases .. my question in that aspect the different cases is overwhelm "equal" case . right?
I assume that your mother-tongue is not english (neither is mine). To discuss these philosophical matters - where you are looking into the meaning of english words - you may find it more fruitful to discuss with someone who speaks your language and can decipher the intended meaning of your questions.

I, for one, fail to understand your question.

All fine guys; anyway all good just after two hours of thinking I convinced myself .. thanks.

All fine guys; anyway all good just after two hours of thinking I convinced myself .. thanks.
Ryan$, why don't you do us the honor to letting us in on mystery & its answer?

Ryan$, why don't you do us the honor to letting us in on mystery & its answer?

I will let you to know .. I've asked about something which "why" we need to look at problem in general way, I mean in all its possibilities and never limit the possibilities of the problem if it must be solved in general ; so imagine that you have a problem doesn't matter what it's but what is matter; it maybe has two cases "equal" and "different" .. so in general you should pick the different case to solve the problem because "different" is overwhelm the case of "equal" in other words "equal" is a concrete of "different" ......... got me?!

Hi guys, why it's correct to write this :
100cm=1m ? in aspect of value there're the same but in syntaxt there're not the same... any help?! why however the syntax isn't the same syntax they are equal? I know 100cm valued 1m but "=" isn't just in aspect of value, it's also in depends on syntax!

Those are two different ways to express the same distance. Two expressions can represent the same value even when the expressions are not identical.

Please tell us what you mean by "syntax" when you say "in syntax they are not the same". If I know a man named "George" but his friends call him "Sam" then it is certainly correct, in syntax, to say "George= Sam". Both names refer to the same person. In the same way, the name, or label, "100 cm" refers to exactly the same thing as "1 m". They are the same "in syntax" as well as "in value".

Hi guys; so sorry for posting loke this question but please im not that much smart turly and im not afraid of this; so i make double work for understanding anything..

My question is: if theres like this:
5 [bird] =8[legs] so can i conclude from this .. At each 5 bird i would have 8 legs? In other words here i can conclude from "equality" that 5:8 is also work for manipulation of how many legs within 10 cats..! What I'm trying to say we can conclude from the "=" between birds and legs that 5:8 is also right for manipulation...I mean however it's "=" in equality equation; we also can conclude ":" 5:8 from the same equation(from bird=legs).....am i right?

Hi guys; so sorry for posting loke this question but please im not that much smart turly and im not afraid of this; so i make double work for understanding anything.. My question is: if theres like this: 5 [bird] =8[legs] so can i conclude from this .. At each 5 bird i would have 8 legs? In other words here i can conclude from "equality" that 5:8 is also work for manipulation of how many legs within 10 cats..! What I'm trying to say we can conclude from the "=" between birds and legs that 5:8 is also right for manipulation...I mean however it's "=" in equality equation; we also can conclude ":" 5:8 from the same equation(from bird=legs).....am i right?
Dear Ryan$, you really need to enroll in a course that may go be many different names but it is philosophical logic. I think that I remember that you are in a area with several higher education units each of which has such a course.
At the very least get yourself a copy of Copi's Symbolic Logic, See Here If I were you I would buy a used copy in good condition.
You can read the material on Definite Descriptives. Bertrand Russell contributed a great deal to this the whole area of mathematical logic, especially the concepts of equality & identity.

The statement "5[bird] = 8[legs]" means only what you intend to mean when you write it. Any symbols can be misused (just as one can put words together to make nonsense), and many can be used in more than one way.

What do YOU mean when you write that? I have never seen something like that written in a mathematical context.

The statement "5[bird] = 8[legs]" means only what you intend to mean when you write it. Any symbols can be misused (just as one can put words together to make nonsense), and many can be used in more than one way.

What do YOU mean when you write that? I have never seen something like that written in a mathematical context.
I mean with "writing that"; from this statement=5[bird] = 8[legs] we conclude that at every 5bird there's 8legs; so it's equal to say 5:8 .. And then if we need 10birds we would have 16legs .. So first the equation was "=" and we concluded something that's related to ":" so how is that logically?!

I mean with "writing that"; from this statement=5[bird] = 8[legs] we conclude that at every 5bird there's 8legs; so it's equal to say 5:8 .. And then if we need 10birds we would have 16legs .. So first the equation was "=" and we concluded something that's related to ":" so how is that logically?!
So you are using "[bird]" and "[legs]" like units (1 foot = 12 inches), and not as variables (number of birds, number of legs), which would have a very different meaning.

The fact is, we don't write "5 birds = 8 legs", because they are not the same thing. We would say in words, "for every 5 birds there are 8 legs" (if, of course, we had very odd birds). That would make it clear what we mean, which is a ratio. So your question is about something that doesn't exist.

Actually, the man who was named "George" but his friends called him "Sam" was my father. Why his friends called him "Sam" is a long story which would be somewhat "not correct" by today's standards!