Finding x problem please help

Ginandtonic

I have a problem, I've been told the answer is 72, but can't find the way to get that correct answer. We have: 0.5(x -32) =22. So, I expand my brackets first so I have 0.5x -16 =22. The we cancel out the -16 by doing inverse operation +16 on both sides leaving 0.5x = 38 So, then we do another inverse operation to cancel out the multiply by 0.5, so we divide 38 by 0.5 leaving us with x=76 I've done it a few times and just can't see how to get the answer 72 instead of 76! Anyone got any ideas please? Thank you :)

I have a problem, I've been told the answer is 72, but can't find the way to get that correct answer. We have: 0.5(x -32) =22. So, I expand my brackets first so I have 0.5x -16 =22. The we cancel out the -16 by doing inverse operation +16 on both sides leaving 0.5x = 38 So, then we do another inverse operation to cancel out the multiply by 0.5, so we divide 38 by 0.5 leaving us with x=76 I've done it a few times and just can't see how to get the answer 72 instead of 76! Anyone got any ideas please? Thank you :)
Your answer (76) is correct.

Did you consider checking the answer? 0.5(72- 32)= 0.5(40)= 20 NOT 22 so 72 is definitely not a solution to this equation. 0.5(76- 32)= 0.5(44)= 22 so 76 is the correct solution.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did check but I couldn't make the answer given, which was 72 for and equals of 22. Thank you - this is kind of good news AND bad news - I'm glad I got it right but the solution was given by my online homework so I didn;t think it could be wrong! My school subscribes to a maths service and I was sure it must be me who was wrong and not it! Thank you for your help though. And my mum says thanks too.

Definitely tell your teacher about it; but it is not unheard-of for instructional programs to be wrong occasionally.

Ideally, I'd like to see a screen shot of the question exactly as given to you, and how they show the answer. Sometimes there can be a subtlety of wording, or a misread symbol, or something like that, such that they might actually be solving a different problem correctly.

But also, when you get an answer by work you believe to be right, and check it, then that counts for more than anyone (even your teacher!) who just gives you an answer without showing why it's true. So take this as a reason to trust yourself just a little more in the future!

Thank you . I cant get the problem back once its been marked an submited, but I know how to do a screen shot for next time. Thanks for your help :)