Calling All Members! A moment of your time, please.

mmm4444bot

Super Moderator
There seems to be an uptick in the number of snarky, condescending, pejorative, or downright mean-spirited posts in the forum, of late.

This is not good.

The site owner intends this forum to be a welcoming, friendly, helpful, and safe place for people at all levels to ask what they will. The forum is neither a bully pulpit nor a venue for self indulgent chest pounding.

I also note that, of the last few dozen posts reported by members, a significant percentage concern just three individuals.

I write today to remind everyone to be nice. If you can't be nice, then you need to take a break from the boards for awhile and not come back until you can behave. If you're unable to leave, I stand ready to help you take a vacation.

We have a lot of different members from a lot of different places with a lot of different perspectives and backgrounds.

I understand some new members miss or ignore the guidelines. That's not a license to bite off their head; kindly provide them with a link to the guidelines, or simply post a suggestion and ask them to show their attempt.

I understand some members do not always express themselves clearly or use standard notation. That's not a license to ridicule them, issue demands, post condescending remarks, rant off-topic personal opinions, or start name calling. If you find yourself getting hot under the collar, please leave the thread alone.

I also remind members that you're free to post personal opinions, in your own thread, but don't personally attack other members. Place such threads on the Math Odds and Ends board. In the past, off-topic posts have been pulled from threads and moved to the Math Odds and Ends board with objectionable behavior intact. Going forward, posts may be edited or deleted entirely. The site owner reserves the right to remove any objectionable material from the forum at any time for any reason without notice.

I close with words from a longtime member at lunch awhile back. "Life is so much smoother when we're nice to each other." :cool:

There seems to be an uptick in the number of snarky, condescending, pejorative, or downright mean-spirited posts in the forum, of late.

This is not good.

The site owner intends this forum to be a welcoming, friendly, helpful, and safe place for people at all levels to ask what they will. The forum is neither a bully pulpit nor a venue for self indulgent chest pounding.

I also note that, of the last few dozen posts reported by members, a significant percentage concern just three individuals.

I write today to remind everyone to be nice. If you can't be nice, then you need to take a break from the boards for awhile and not come back until you can behave. If you're unable to leave, I stand ready to help you take a vacation.

We have a lot of different members from a lot of different places with a lot of different perspectives and backgrounds.

I understand some new members miss or ignore the guidelines. That's not a license to bite off their head; kindly provide them with a link to the guidelines, or simply post a suggestion and ask them to show their attempt.

I understand some members do not always express themselves clearly or use standard notation. That's not a license to ridicule them, issue demands, post condescending remarks, rant off-topic personal opinions, or start name calling. If you find yourself getting hot under the collar, please leave the thread alone.

I also remind members that you're free to post personal opinions, in your own thread, but don't personally attack other members. Place such threads on the Math Odds and Ends board. In the past, off-topic posts have been pulled from threads and moved to the Math Odds and Ends board with objectionable behavior intact. Going forward, posts may be edited or deleted entirely. The site owner reserves the right to remove any objectionable material from the forum at any time for any reason without notice.

I close with words from a longtime member at lunch awhile back. "Life is so much smoother when we're nice to each other." :cool:
Are you saying that I cannot send Denis to corner anymore?!!!

I protest........

This is not good.

Hear, hear!!

Are you saying that I cannot send Denis to corner anymore?!!!

I protest........
I agree that Denis should go to the corner for awhile.

I also agree that we should be nice to students as they do come first. I know that is why many helper choose to be here. I at times can be nicer and will try harder.

I've been largely out of circulation recently (because... reasons). What have I missed?

:cool:
What have I missed?

Nothing new, Elizabeth; just another wave of bad behavior, same as last time, and the time before that, and the time before that ...

PS: I hope things get better for you. Know that I wish you well. :cool:

To the OP:

Wow! I'm a member and a lurker of a few technical forums around the web and I have to say that your post should be a 'sticky' on all of them. Snarkiness (my spell-checker is telling me that's not a real word - pfft!) runs so rampant on some of them that the "Post a New Thread" button should be changed to read "Post a New Thread - If You Dare!".

Anyway, I'm new here and late to this discussion, but just wanted to chime in to say "well-said!"

Regards,

CJ