Solving Exact Diff. Eqns w/ Coefficients >1 in Soln: dr/dΘ=(r^2 sin Θ)/(2r cos Θ -1)

gw1500se

Solving Exact Diff. Eqns w/ Coefficients >1 in Soln: dr/dΘ=(r^2 sin Θ)/(2r cos Θ -1)

I am trying to refresh my diffy and am having trouble recalling the handling of coefficents >1 in the solution. For example, given the exact differential equation:

dr/dΘ=(r^2 sin Θ)/(2r cos Θ -1)

Since it is exact I get the form Mdr + NdΘ = 0:

(2r cos Θ -1)dr-(r^2 sin Θ)dΘ = 0

Solving, I get:

2r^2 cos Θ -r = c

My book says the answer is:

r^2 cos Θ -r = c

I understand the concept of incorporating coefficients on the left into the constant on the right. However, in this case I don't see how the coefficient '2' can be incorporated from just the one term. How can a constant 'c' be obtained that does not change the relationship between the two terms? Can someone please explain? TIA.

Last edited:
I am trying to refresh my diffy and am having trouble recalling the handling of coefficents >1 in the solution. For example, given the exact differential equation:

dy/dΘ=(r^2 sin Θ)/(2r cos Θ -1)

Since it is exact I get the form Mdy + NdΘ = 0:

(2r cos Θ -1)dy-(r^2 sin Θ)dΘ = 0

Solving, I get:

2r^2 cos Θ -r = c

r^2 cos Θ -r = c

I understand the concept of incorporating coefficients on the left into the constant on the right. However, in this case I don't see how the coefficient '2' can be incorporated from just the one term. How can a constant 'c' be obtained that does not change the relationship between the two terms? Can someone please explain? TIA.
Please show the steps taken for the solution.

dy/dΘ=(r^2 sin Θ)/(2r cos Θ -1)

Since it is exact I get the form Mdy + NdΘ = 0:

(2r cos Θ -1)dy-(r^2 sin Θ)dΘ = 0

Solving, I get:

2r^2 cos Θ -r = c

r^2 cos Θ -r = c

Is the given equation:

d
r/dΘ=(r^2 sin Θ)/(2r cos Θ -1)

Is the given equation:

d
r/dΘ=(r^2 sin Θ)/(2r cos Θ -1)

Yes, that was a typo. Sorry.

Here are my steps finding the anti-derivatives of M and N:

(r^2 cos Θ -r) - (r^2 (-cos Θ)) = c
r^2 cos Θ -r + r^2 cos Θ = c
2r^2 cos Θ -r = c

dr/dΘ=(r^2 sin Θ)/(2r cos Θ -1)

Since it is exact I get the form Mdr + NdΘ = 0:

(2r cos Θ -1)dr-(r^2 sin Θ)dΘ = 0

Solving, I get:

2r^2 cos Θ -r = c

r^2 cos Θ -r = c

The problem is not the incorporation of constants but the integration and the particular assumption of separability. Ignoring this problem for a moment, suppose r = 1/cos(\(\displaystyle \theta\)). What is the integral of 2r cos Θ? On the other hand, what if r=sin(\(\displaystyle \theta\)). What is the integral of 2r cos Θ?

To put this in more general terms
\(\displaystyle \int \, u'\, v\, =\, u v \,-\, \int\, u\, v'\)
If you want to approach this problem as separable the way it stands, you are forgetting the second part of the equation on the right hand side when you integrate.

Unless I am totally misunderstanding I don't think we are talking about the same thing with respect to solving exact differential equations. The theorem being used here involves partial derivatives.

In part (assuming an exact differential equation):

Given the equation M dx + N dy = 0 = dU, then U exists such that δU/δx=M and δU/δy=N

Thus we are finding the anti-derivative of M and N, not integrating them.