Elliptical frustum's height? Vol. is V=(1/3)*pi*{(a*b)*(bh/b-d) - (c*d)*[(bh/b-d)-h]}

eimimitu

For
an elliptical frustum that has the following values:
a-base major radius
b-base minor radius
c-top major radius
d-top minor radius
h-height

The Volume is calculated using:
V = (1/3)*pi*{(a*b)*(bh/b-d) - (c*d)*[(bh/b-d)-h]}

What would be the formula for finding height:
h = ?

Thanks in advance!

For
a-base major radius
b-base minor radius
c-top major radius
d-top minor radius
h-height

h = ?

Thanks in advance!

First thing I would do is to draw a sketch and locate those given parameters on the sketch.

Then tell us what did you find?

For
a-base major radius
b-base minor radius
c-top major radius
d-top minor radius
h-height

h = ?

I don't trust the formula as given, for several reasons.

First, it looks as if you omitted some essential parentheses, e.g. around "b-d".

But more important, the volume should be proportional to h, and this is not apparent as I would expect in any reasonably derived formula.

But if the formula is correct, then the answer would be found by "just" solving for h. Try factoring out h!

Factoring h

[/LEFT]
[/SIZE][/FONT]
I don't trust the formula as given, for several reasons.

First, it looks as if you omitted some essential parentheses, e.g. around "b-d".

But more important, the volume should be proportional to h, and this is not apparent as I would expect in any reasonably derived formula.

But if the formula is correct, then the answer would be found by "just" solving for h. Try factoring out h!

Thank you for pointing this out... yes the b-d should be in parenthesis on both instances...

That's the thing I'm having trouble with is factoring out the h.. I have tried several ways but I get stuck in a loop of passing the "h" back and forth from the equal sign.

I start with this: 3V/pi=(ab)(bh/(b-d))-(cd)(bh/(b-d))-h).. but kinda lost after that.

Thank you for pointing this out... yes the b-d should be in parenthesis on both instances...

That's the thing I'm having trouble with is factoring out the h.. I have tried several ways but I get stuck in a loop of passing the "h" back and forth from the equal sign.

I start with this: 3V/pi=(ab)(bh/(b-d))-(cd)(bh/(b-d))-h).. but kinda lost after that.

3V/π=(ab)(bh/(b-d))-(cd)(bh/(b-d))-h)

3V/π=[h * {ab2/(b-d) - (cd)(b/(b-d))-1)}]

Factoring h

I thought I would make the proper correction to this for the next guy that needs it

There were some errors in the formula as pointed out by Dr. Peterson(thank you).. below is the corrected one. (
π
represents pi... [thank you​
Subhotosh Khan]
)
V = (1/3)
π
( (ab) (
bh/(b-d))​
- (cd) (
(bh/(b-d))​
-h ) )

I solved for h like this:
h = 3V / (cd
π) ( ab2 / (b-d)(bd) ) - ( ( b / (b-d) ) - 1 )

It finally clicked thanks to both of your tips so a very enthusiastic thank you!

yet another correction...

those **** parenthesis...:p

h = 3V / (cdπ) [( ab2 / (b-d)(bd) ) - ( ( b / (b-d) ) - 1 )]