Meaning of this logistic function: -1.22/1+(-72.34e^(-3.46x))

arianna0202

To preface: I'm doing an "exploration" so I have no background knowledge on this and am not allowed to ask my teacher for help....
I used logistic regression for my data sets (trying to find a lorenz curve) and got the formula -1.22/1+(-72.34e^(-3.46x)). Because -72.34 is negative, my graph looks very different from a normal logistic function and I can't find any resources to help me make sense of this equation. I need to be able to explain each part of the equation....

To preface: I'm doing an "exploration" so I have no background knowledge on this and am not allowed to ask my teacher for help....
I used logistic regression for my data sets (trying to find a lorenz curve) and got the formula -1.22/1+(-72.34e^(-3.46x)). Because -72.34 is negative, my graph looks very different from a normal logistic function and I can't find any resources to help me make sense of this equation. I need to be able to explain each part of the equation....
Did you start by graphing your data before trying to do curve fitting?

When you graph the given data, does the resulting curve look like a normal Lorenz curve?

Why use logistic regression on your data?

Is is this an exploration in welfare economics or (maybe) chaos theory?

You do realize that a Lorenz curve will necessarily pass through (0, 0) and (1, 1), do you not? You cannot construct such a curve from raw data.

Last edited: