I forgot how to factor! I don't know where to start...

Jasminestarrr

Hey! I'm new to this site, so I thought I'd give it a go. I would GREATLY appreciate it if someone could help me with this problem. I'm in College Algebra... But I'm trying to figure out where to start...

2(3x + 4)^2 + (2x + 3) x 2(3x + 4) x 3

Thank you!

Once in algebra, we do not use the letter x as a multiplication symbol because it's too confusing alongside the variable x.

Type an asterisk * to show multiplication, instead:

2(3x + 4)^2 + (2x + 3) * 2(3x + 4) * 3

I'm guessing that the instruction that comes with this math expression is "Simplify the given expression".

If so, then this exercise has to do with some things called the Order of Operations, the distributive property, the FOIL algorithm, and combining like-terms.

Have you learned about these things?

Please show your work or explain why you're stuck, so that we can figure out where to begin helping you. :cool:

A second thought:

Perhaps an instruction to factor the given expression implies that you first simplify it to Ax^2+Bx+C form, and then factor that result. Doing this would be easy enough.

What are your thoughts, now?

Hey! I'm new to this site, so I thought I'd give it a go. I would GREATLY appreciate it if someone could help me with this problem. I'm in College Algebra... But I'm trying to figure out where to start...

2(3x + 4)^2 + (2x + 3) x 2(3x + 4) x 3

Thank you!

Can you factor the following expression:

Ax2 + Bx

Of course, Denis is winking alongside that "cruel" comment above about cruelty; we can't see the winking because of the shades.

Subhotosh's question is designed to ascertain some sense of WHY the original poster is stuck. These are the types of questions that we must ask posters who do not share any useful information about their situation.

Some examples of actual cruel questions are:

"Why did you not tell us where you're stuck? Is it a big secret?"

"You forgot to inform us about your specific difficulty with this exercise. Do you expect us to read your mind?"

"Are you fishing for somebody to do your homework?"

"Would you like fries with that?"

Of course, I would never post cruel questions like these.

:roll:

:lol: