Polynominal equation: x^4-5x^2+4=0 x(x^3-5x+4)=0

Wtf it doesn't make sense, at all.

This is what I've come up with.

x^4-5x^2+4=0
(x^2-1)(x^2-4)=0
(x-1)(x+1)(x-2)(x+2)=0
x=-2,-1,1,2

I think it's right, but I've got no idea why I got where I did and none of the steps seem connected.

you are close
x4-5x2+4=0
(x2-4)(x2-1)=0
(x-1)(x+1)(x-2)(x+2)=0
because one of the terms has to equal 0
x=-2,2, and x=-1,1

alternatively, you dont have to factor (x2-4)(x2-1)=0
(x2-4)(x2-1)=0
again, because one of the terms has to equal 0
x=sqrt4, and x=sqrt1
x=-2,2, and x=-1,1

Wtf it doesn't make sense, at all … I've got no idea why I got where I did … none of the steps seem connected.
Maybe it's because your approach to studying math is backwards. :idea:

Wtf it doesn't make sense, at all.

This is what I've come up with.

x^4-5x^2+4=0
(x^2-1)(x^2-4)
(x-1)(x+1)(x-2)(x-2)

x=-2,-1,1,2

I think it's right, but I've got no idea why I got where I did and none of the steps seem connected.
In an earlier post, I recollect that you said you memorized formulas rather than trying to understand principles. In that case, nothing will seem to make human sense because you are acting like a machine rather than a human.

The principal involved in solving an equation in x is to change an obscure equation in x into an equivalent equation where it is obvious what number is represented by x. That is the simple principle involved. It is called "reductionism": we reduce the complex into simpler and simpler forms.

A lot of algebra is simply learning an inventory of techniques to reduce the complexity of an expression.

Just looking at

\(\displaystyle 4w^4 = 136w^2 - 900\) does not provide a solution that is immediately obvious to inspection.

One technique that you can try (it may not always be practical) is to set a polynomial equal to zero, factor the polynomial, and use the zero-product property.

\(\displaystyle 4w^4 = 136w^2 - 900 \implies 4w^4 - (136w^2 - 900) = 136w^2 - 900 - (136w^2 - 900) \implies 4w^4 - 136w^2 + 900 = 0.\)

The simple principles involved are that

\(\displaystyle a = b \iff a - c = b - c\) and \(\displaystyle d - d = 0.\)

Do you have any questions about the sense of those principles?

The purpose, however, is to transform the equation into a form that is a polynomial equal to zero because sometimes we can factor it to get a solution.

\(\displaystyle 4w^4 - 136w^2 + 900 = 0 \implies \dfrac{1}{4} * (4w^4 - 136w^2 + 900) = \dfrac{1}{4} * 0 \implies w^4 - 34w^2 + 225 = 0.\)

\(\displaystyle a = b \implies c * a = c * b \) and \(\displaystyle d * 0 = 0.\)

Have any wtf feelings about those principals?

The purpose is to simplify a polynomial into a somewhat simpler one. This is reductionism in practice: we try to simplify step by step.

We ask whether we can factor this polynomial: we can.

\(\displaystyle (w^2 - 25)(w^2 - 9) = (w^2 - 25) * w^2 - (w^2 - 25) * 9 = w^4 - 25w^2 - 9w^2 + 220 = w^4 - 34w^2 + 225.\)

\(\displaystyle \therefore w^4 - 34w^2 + 225 = 0 \implies (w^2 - 25)(w^2 - 9) = 0.\)

The simple principles involved are

\(\displaystyle a(b + c) \equiv ab + ac\) and \(\displaystyle a = b \text { and } b = c \implies a = c.\)

Do you find the principles obscure?

The purpose is to factor the polynomial. Why? Because that is one way to find an answer. How did we find the factoring? That is an art, not a science. So now we have

\(\displaystyle (w^2 - 25)(w^2 - 9) = 0.\)

There is a simple principle called the zero product property:

\(\displaystyle a * b = 0 \implies a = 0 \text { or } b = 0 \text { or } a = 0 = b.\)

Applying that we

\(\displaystyle (w^2 - 25)(w^2 - 9) = 0 \implies w^2 - 25 = 0 \text { or } w^2 - 9 = 0 \implies w^2 = 25 \text { or } w^2 = 9.\)

You can solve those by inspection. If you put those answers back into the original equation, you will find they work.

Our overall purpose was to transform an equation without an obvious answer into an equivalent form with an obvious answer. Our method was to try one of the techniques for doing that by applying gradual steps based on very simple principles.

If you don't understand what your destination is or why you want that destination, the directions to that destination will seem arbitrary. There is no sense to math by formula and rote; it is simply a set of magical incantations.

Last edited:
In an earlier post, I recollect that you said you memorized formulas rather than trying to understand principles. In that case, nothing will seem to make human sense because you are cting like a machine rather than a human.

The principal involved in solving an equation in x is to change an obscure equation in x into an equivalent equation where it is obvious what number is represented by x. That is the simple principle involved. It is called "reductionism": we reduce the complex into simpler and simpler forms.

A lot of algebra is simply learning an inventory of techniques to reduce the complexity of an expression.

Just looking at

\(\displaystyle y - 25 y - 9 = y^2 - 34y + 225

\(\displaystyle 4w^4 = 136w^2 - 900\) does not have a solution that is immediately obvious to inspection.

One technique that you can try (it may not always be practical) is to set a polynomial equal to zero, factor the polynomial, and use the zero-product property.

\(\displaystyle 4w^4 = 136w^2 - 900 \implies 4w^4 - (136w^2 - 900) = 136w^2 - 900 - (136w^2 - 900) \implies 4w^4 - 136w^2 + 900 = 0.\)

tex]a = b \iff a - c = b - c]/tex] and \(\displaystyle d - d = 0.\)

Do you have any questions about the sense of those principles?

The purpose, however, is to transform the equation into a form that is a polynomial equal to zero because sometimes we can factor it to get a solution.

\(\displaystyle 4w^4 - 136w^2 + 900 = 0 \implies \dfrac{1}{4} * (4w^4 - 136w^2 + 900) = \dfrac{1}{4} * 0 \implies w^4 - 34w^2 + 225 = 0.\)

\(\displaystyle a = b \implies c * a = c * b \) and \(\displaystyle d * 0 = 0.\)

Have any wtf feelings about those principals?

The purpose is to simplify a polynomial into a somewhat simpler one. This is reductionism in practice: we try to simplify step by step.

We ask whether we can factor this polynomial: we can.

\(\displaystyle (w^2 - 25)(w^2 - 9) = (w^2 - 25) * w^2 - (w^2 - 25) * 9 = w^4 - 25w^2 - 9w^2 + 220 = w^4 - 34w^2 + 225.\)

\(\displaystyle \therefore w^4 - 34w^2 + 225 = 0 \implies (w^2 - 25)(w^2 - 9) = 0.\)

The simple principles involved are

\(\displaystyle a(b + c) \equiv ab + ac\) and \(\displaystyle a = b \text { and } b = c \implies a = c.\)

Do you find the principles obscure?

The purpose is to factor the polynomial. Why? Because that is one way to find an answer. How did we find the factoring? That is an art, not a science. So now we have

\(\displaystyle (w^2 - 25)(w^2 - 9) = 0.\)

There is a simple principle called the zero product property:

\(\displaystyle a * b = 0 \implies a = 0 \text { or } b = 0 \text { or } a = 0 = b.\)

Applying that we

\(\displaystyle (w^2 - 25)(w^2 - 9) = 0 \implies w^2 - 25 = 0 \text { or } w^2 - 9 = 0 \implies w^2 = 25 \text { or } w^2 = 9.\)

You can solve those by inspection. If you put those answers back into the original equation, you will find they work.

Our overall purpose was to transform an equation without an obvious answer into an equivalent form with an obvious answer. Our method was to try one of the techniques for doing that by applying gradual steps based on very simple principles.

If you don't understand what your destination is or why you want that destination, the directions to that destination will seem arbitrary. There is no sense to math by formula and rote; it is simply a set of magical incantations.\)
\(\displaystyle

That made a lot of sense, thank you. It's a lot clearer now and I did not experience any wtf feelings. You're right on the final part as well where math can seem like magic at times.

I am aware of reductionism, but at times like with the question I posted here some steps leave me at complete loss.\)

Is what I've done correct, and how proceed ?

x^4-5x^2+4=0

What do you get if you substitute x^2 by u.

That is - make:

u = x^2

Now your given equation will transform to an equation of 'u'.

Does that equation of 'u' look like familiar form?

That made a lot of sense, thank you. It's a lot clearer now and I did not experience any wtf feelings. You're right on the final part as well where math can seem like magic at times.

I am aware of reductionism, but at times like with the question I posted here some steps leave me at complete loss.
I suspect that it relates to not understanding why that step is being taken. In an earlier post in this thread, I mentioned that you had taken a valid step that was not useful. Manipulating expressions and equations can be done in many different ways, but few of them move toward a desired end state. If a chain of reasoning looks obscure, read the chain backwards, starting with x = whatever it equals. You should then see why each step was taken to get from the initial state to the end state.

But starting from the initial messy state and figuring out the logical chain leading to the simple end state is not mechanical; it is an art. The more techniques you have, the less art you require.

Many in this thread have suggested a very basic application of general technique called u-substitution. The idea is that you have a complex expression that you make simpler by replacing a expression with a variable (frequently u or v).

\(\displaystyle x^4 - 5x^2 + 4 = 0.\)

Quartic equations are hard. But perhaps a u-substitution will help. So let's try it. The trick is to guess at a useful u-substitution.

\(\displaystyle u = x^2 \implies x^4 - 5x^2 + 4 = 0 \implies u^2 - 5x^2 + 4 = 0.\)

Now instead of a quartic equation, we have the much simpler quadratic equation. We spend weeks in algebra learning different ways to solve quadratics.

\(\displaystyle u^2 - 5u + 4 = 0 \implies (u - 4)(u - 1) = 0 \implies u = 4 \text { or } u = 1.\)

Now we switch back to the original variable.

\(\displaystyle u = x^2 \implies 4 = u = x^2 \text { or } 1 = u = x^2 \implies x = \pm 2 \text { or } x = \pm 1.\)

Which techniques to use requires creativity and perhaps experimentation. When you see an answer wtitten out in a nice logical form, all the creativity is hidden.

HEY you guys, quit making fun of my favorite variable :shock:

… you asked if it looked familiar …
No, Harry did not ask that.

Subhotosh asked whether the rewritten equation u^2-5u+4=0 looks like a familiar form, to you. (I think you never rewrote the equation.)

It seems like either you have difficulty understanding written instruction or you don't pay much attention to what you're reading.

Last edited: