Sum of n terms of sequence: a_1 sqrt[a_1] + a_2 sqrt[a_2] + ... + a_n sqrt[a_n]

Cezar

Hi, I have an exercise that would be considered to belong to calculus, but i got stuck on solving a sum(even further, i have the final step at the answer, but I don't understand how they got to the conclusion).
Basically i have this sum, but i don't know the steps between where i got stuck and the last step from the answer.

Where I got stuck:

. . . . .\(\displaystyle a_1\, \sqrt{\strut a_1\,}\, +\, a_2\, \sqrt{\strut a_2\, }\, +\, ...\, +\, a_n\, \sqrt{\strut a_n\,}\, =\)

Last step from the answer:

. . . . .\(\displaystyle a_1\, -\, a_2\, +\, a_2\, -\, a_3\, +\, ...\, +\, a_n\, -\, a_{n+1}\, =\)

. . . . .\(\displaystyle a_1\, -\, a_n\)

I wold really appreciate if someone could explain me the steps in between.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I have an exercise that would be considered to belong to calculus, but i got stuck on solving a sum(even further, i have the final step at the answer, but I don't understand how they got to the conclusion).
Basically i have this sum, but i don't know the steps between where i got stuck and the last step from the answer.

Where I got stuck:

. . . . .\(\displaystyle a_1\, \sqrt{\strut a_1\,}\, +\, a_2\, \sqrt{\strut a_2\, }\, +\, ...\, +\, a_n\, \sqrt{\strut a_n\,}\, =\)

Last step from the answer:

. . . . .\(\displaystyle a_1\, -\, a_2\, +\, a_2\, -\, a_3\, +\, ...\, +\, a_n\, -\, a_{n+1}\, =\)

. . . . .\(\displaystyle a_1\, -\, a_n\)

I wold really appreciate if someone could explain me the steps in between.
Did they provide any relationship between a1 and a2 and a3 ..... an?

Did they provide any relationship between a1 and a2 and a3 ..... an?
Thank you for response. Apparently I've done the exercise with another formula that I was supposed to do. Basically when I was supposed to study the monotony of the sequence I used formula 1) instead of 2), and I haven't seen the relation from the second formula.

1) If \(\displaystyle \dfrac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}\, \geq\, 1,\) then the sequence is increasing; otherwise, it is decreasing.

2) If \(\displaystyle a_{n+1}\, -\, a_n\, \geq\, 0,\) then the sequence is increasing; otherwise, it is decreasing.

And, solving with the second formula, knowing that

. . .\(\displaystyle a_{n+1}\, =\, a_n\, \left(1\, -\, \sqrt{\strut a_n\,}\right)\)

...we get:

. . .\(\displaystyle a_{n+1}\, -\, a_n\, =\, a_n\, \left(1\, -\, a_n\right)\, -\, a_n\, =\, -a_n\, \sqrt{\strut a_n\,}\)

Further:

. . .\(\displaystyle a_{n+1}\, -\, a_n\, =\,-a_n\, \sqrt{\strut a_n\,}\, \big|\, \cdot\, -1\)

. . .\(\displaystyle a_n\, \sqrt{\strut a_n\,}\, =\, a_n\, -\, a_{n+1}\)

And that would be the formula.

Thank you for your time, I guess next time I'll try all formulas before asking :)

Attachments

• Rezeolvare.jpg
    Rezeolvare.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 2