Limit problem: lim [n -> infty] [(1 + 2^p + 3^p + ... + n^p)/(n^{p+1})]

emmablom

Hello

I was wondering which areas this math problem involves in? I'm currently reading a course in calculus and I do not recognize the problem in my course literature .
Would be grateful if you could list the parts that you need to solve this problem.

. . .\(\displaystyle \mbox{For }\, p\, >\, 0,\, \mbox{ solve the following:}\)

. . . . .\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}\, \dfrac{1\, +\, 2^p\, +\, 3^p\, +\, ...\, +\, n^p}{n^{p+1}}\)

Attachments

• ScreenShot_20180307152014.png
    ScreenShot_20180307152014.png
    5.2 KB · Views: 21
Last edited by a moderator:
I was wondering which areas this math problem involves in? I'm currently reading a course in calculus and I do not recognize the problem in my course literature .
Would be grateful if you could list the parts that you need to solve this problem.

. . . . .\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}\, \dfrac{1\, +\, 2^p\, +\, 3^p\, +\, ...\, +\, n^p}{n^{p+1}}\)
What was the source of this exercise? If your textbook, then you should probably apply topics from that section, and immediately previous. ;)

Note: Wolfram Alpha gives the limit as being zero, if 0 < p < 1. (here) So I'm guessing that you're probably expected to consider cases....

part chapter ?

The question is from a previous test in the course and I wonder what part chapter I can read in order to fully understand the problem?

This is what my course literature covers.

Iterations

Newton-Raphson's Method

Series: convergence / divergence, integral criterion

comparison criteria

root / quota criteria

Alternating series

Leibniz criterion

rearrangement of series

Power series

Taylor series

Power series convergence

Derivation / integration of power series

solution of differential equations

Sequences, series of functions

pointwise and uniform convergence

Dominated convergence

reversal of border processes.

The question is from a previous test in the course and I wonder what part chapter I can read in order to fully understand the problem?

This is what my course literature covers.

Iterations

Newton-Raphson's Method

Series: convergence / divergence, integral criterion
. . . . ..comparison criteria
. . . . ..root / quota criteria
. . . . ..Alternating series
. . . . ..Leibniz criterion
. . . . ..rearrangement of series
. . . . ..Power series
. . . . ..Taylor series
. . . . ..Power series convergence
. . . . ..Derivation / integration of power series

solution of differential equations

Sequences, series of functions

pointwise and uniform convergence

Dominated convergence

reversal of border processes
I would guess that the sequences-and-series chapter(s) would be a good place to start. But you know your book better than I do. You're taking the course; where does this sort of exercise arise in the book's homework sets? Study that section, and the preceding ones. ;)