Spring Calculations for Work: econd plate is 8lbs and moves freely with the springs.

Guest10

I have a problem, trying to buy springs for a project I'm working on at work. I'm stuck and confused and hope someone can help.

Untitled.jpgSorry the picture is really tiny.

So here is the problem, I have a stationary plate at the top. This plate has two rods going down into the table to keep both the plates aliened. The second plate is 8lbs and moves freely with the springs. I need two
extension springs to hold up the plate, but also need to be able to move the plate down by 1.5 inches by hand.

If anyone can please help me understand what I need for the Initial Tension, Wire Diameter, and Spring OD.

Thank you for the help.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 1
Spring Calculations for Work

I'm working on a project at work that has to deal with buy some springs. I'm confused and can't figure out what springs to get for my problem.

Untitled.jpg
Okay here is the problem. The top half of the machine is stationary. It has two rods running down the throw the other plate and into the table to keep them aligned. A plate needs to be held up by 2 extension springs, this plate is 8lbs. These springs need to be around 7-10 inches long and be pushed down 1.5 inches by hand. When I look on websites to buy springs for this, they talk about Initial Tension(lbs) and Rate (lb/in). I need help trying to find out what the Initial Tension should be and the Rate.

Hope someone can help soon, and Thank you.

View attachment 9114

The top half of the machine is stationary. It has two rods running down the throw the other plate and into the table to keep them aligned. A plate needs to be held up by 2 extension springs, this plate is 8lbs. These springs need to be around 7-10 inches long and be pushed down 1.5 inches by hand.... I need help trying to find out what the Initial Tension should be and the Rate.
What does the book give as (or what is your understanding of) the force intended by "need to be...pushed down 1.5 inches by hand"?

When you reply, please include a clear listing of your thoughts and efforts so far. Thank you! ;)