Need Help with answering One Question? slope-int. form of line thru (3, 4), (5, 16)

Savagex2017

This is from a practice quiz online that i am practing for a test.

What is the slope-intercept form equation of the line that passes through (3, 4) and (5, 16)?

I do not know how to work this problem out.

y = 6x − 14
y = −6x + 14
y = −6x − 14
y = 6x + 14

Last edited:
That's alright. We'll start at the very beginning by reviewing the definitions of the terms. My best guess is that the four equations you included at the bottom of your post were the four possible answers given. As I'm sure you've gathered by looking at those, slope-intercept form just means you're expected to generate an equation of the form y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the line and b is the y-intercept of the line. The general definition of slope is "rise over run." What does rise mean in this context? What does run mean in this context? What does that suggest about the slope? This gives you the m, so it's just a matter of finding b. The y-intercept is defined as the point where the line intersects the y-axis. Because the y-axis is the same thing as the line x = 0, what does that suggest about how you might find the y-intercept? If you're having difficulties finding the relevant information in your textbook, you might try using Google to find resources, such as this page from math.com.

Go ahead and give this problem another go. If you get stuck again, that's okay, but when you reply back, please include all the work you've done on this problem, even the parts you know for sure are wrong. Thank you.

What is the slope-intercept form equation of the line that passes through (3, 4) and (5, 16)?

I do not know how to work this problem out.
Plug the two given points into the formula they gave you for the slope of a line through two points. (here)

Then pick one of the points (it doesn't matter which), and plug it, along with the slope you just found, into one of the formulas for straight-line equations. (here)

Then solve for "y=", which gives you the slope-intercept form.

If you get stuck, please reply showing all your steps in following the above instructions. Thank you! ;)