How did they get to the result of the calculation?

VeraMaria

Hello there! I have this questuion for my exam. I'm pretty much unknowing in maths. Could maybe someone explain to me how you get from the second last equation from the top to he last one... I really have no Idea wh the result is supposed to be ~1/x... How would one calculate this? Help! :)Folie1.JPG

Hello there! I have this questuion for my exam. I'm pretty much unknowing in maths. Could maybe someone explain to me how you get from the second last equation from the top to he last one... I really have no Idea wh the result is supposed to be ~1/x... How would one calculate this? Help! :)View attachment 7825
The statement f(x) ~ 1/x [for some condition] may be taken to mean f behaves as some constant a divided by x if some condition is met [plus possibly some (much) smaller terms]. Thus 1+1/x~1 for large (positive or negative) x since 1/x is much smaller than 1 if x is large. Another example is 1/x+1/x2~1/x2 for x near zero since 1/x is much smaller than 1/x2 if x is near zero. Also, just to cover all bases, a constant is about that constant, that is f(x)~f(x).

In your particular case
\(\displaystyle f(x)\, =\, c\left (x,t_{max\,}\right )\, = \, \dfrac{a}{x}\)
where
\(\displaystyle a\, =\, \dfrac{M\, e^{\frac{1}{2}}}{2\, \sqrt{\frac{\pi}{2}}}\)
Thus f(x) behaves as some constant a divided by x when t is equal to tmax or f(x)~1/x when t is equal to tmax.

Hello there! I have this questuion for my exam. I'm pretty much unknowing in maths. Could maybe someone explain to me how you get from the second last equation from the top to he last one... I really have no Idea wh the result is supposed to be ~1/x... How would one calculate this? Help!
If this is typical for this course, you are likely going to be in for a real struggle. Did you check the prerequisites for the course?

Do you understand function notation? It makes things a little less messy.

\(\displaystyle f(x) = -\ \dfrac{x^2}{4Dt}\ and\ t_{max} = \dfrac{x^2}{2D} \implies\)

\(\displaystyle f(t_{max}) = -\ \dfrac{\dfrac{x^2}{4D}}{\dfrac{x^2}{2D}} = -\ \dfrac{x^2}{4D} * \dfrac{2D}{x^2} = -\ \dfrac{1}{2}.\)

Are you ok so far?

\(\displaystyle g(x,\ t) = 2 \sqrt{\pi D t} \implies g(x,\ t_{max}) = 2 \sqrt{ \pi D * \dfrac{x^2}{2D}} = 2 \sqrt{ x^2 * \dfrac{\pi}{2}} = 2x \sqrt{\dfrac{\pi}{2}}.\)

Still with me?

So you have \(\displaystyle c(x,\ t) = \dfrac{M^*}{g(x,\ t)} * e^{f(t)}.\) Any problem so far?

\(\displaystyle c(x,\ t_{max}) = \dfrac{M^*}{g(x,\ t_{max})} * e^{f(t_{max})} = \dfrac{M^*}{2\sqrt{\dfrac{\pi e}{2}}} * \dfrac{1}{x}.\)

But \(\displaystyle \dfrac{M^*}{2\sqrt{\dfrac{\pi e}{2}}}\) involves only constants so

\(\displaystyle K = \dfrac{M^*}{2\sqrt{\dfrac{\pi e}{2}}} \implies c(x,\ t_{max}) = K * \dfrac{1}{x} \implies c(x,\ t_{max}) \text{ ~ } \dfrac{1}{x}.\)

Thank you for your reply! I'm trying to get through this equation step by step. The exam won't be as hard and I've practiced the whole diff. equ. thing and integration. I hope it'll work out ! :)

Hello, thank you for your replies!!

@2nd answer: No, I've been practising differential equations and functions stuff for some time now. Still, it's still a jungle, like you say "messy";)

I get how this works. I just wonder, why do you divide the initial equation up into two different parts f(x) and g(x)? Is there a term I can look up how this works? To me it looks like this one thing has two different functions, firstly dependent on t and t also in the latter case.

The rest I can grasp. So M* also is a constant because it's not an x or y thing and K being a constant term just implies, that when K * 1/x = c max then cmax is proportional to 1/x which makes perfect sense.

Now I need to relate all that to the real world happenings. It kinda seems not too hard but I don't know if I'll be able to reach a solution. But still two weeks left to learn;)