Modelling Proportionality: electric field strength at given distance from dipole

Kobe

Question 2: Proportionality

Two equal but opposite charges separated by a small distance (s) form what is called an electric dipole. The electric field strength (y) above the dipole is directly proportional to the charge on the positive particle (q). The electric field strength is also directly proportional to the small distance between the particles (s). Finally, the field strength is inversely proportional to the cube of y.

Write down a model for the electric field strength at a distance y above the dipole. Explain how you would compute the value of the constant of proportionality.

I tried to wrap my head around it but i'm just lost on what to do. Can anyone show me how to do this?

Attachments

• MATH MODEL.jpg
    MATH MODEL.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 12
Last edited by a moderator:
Question 2: Proportionality

Two equal but opposite charges separated by a small distance (s) form what is called an electric dipole. The electric field strength (y) above the dipole is directly proportional to the charge on the positive particle (q). The electric field strength is also directly proportional to the small distance between the particles (s). Finally, the field strength is inversely proportional to the cube of y.

Write down a model for the electric field strength at a distance y above the dipole. Explain how you would compute the value of the constant of proportionality.

I tried to wrap my head around it but i'm just lost on what to do. Can anyone show me how to do this?
Has your class not covered direct and inverse proportionality, and how to create the equations of proportionality? If not, then try here. Please study at least two lessons from the link.

If so, then you should at least be able to create three equations in terms of the variables provided.

Either way, please reply showing your thoughts and efforts so far (after studying two or more lessons first, if necessary). Thank you! ;)

Has your class not covered direct and inverse proportionality, and how to create the equations of proportionality? If not, then try here. Please study at least two lessons from the link.

If so, then you should at least be able to create three equations in terms of the variables provided.

Either way, please reply showing your thoughts and efforts so far (after studying two or more lessons first, if necessary). Thank you! ;)

I understand the basics of it so are, watched the video and it made sense. But the wording of the problem is kind of confusing me.... Is Electric field Strength (Q)? If so does that make it Q ∝ (s) for one of the variables???... sorry I'm still a bit lost.

Is Electric field Strength (Q)?
Read the exercise. It states, in part, "The electric field strength (y) above the dipole". This means that the electric field strength is denoted by the variable "y". (Nothing is denoted by "Q", though the charge on the positive particle is denoted by the distinct variable "q".)

If so does that make it Q ∝ (s) for one of the variables?
Read the exercise. It states, in part, "The electric field strength is also directly proportional to the small distance between the particles (s).". This means that the field strength q is proportional to the distance s.

The lessons you studied (in addition to your textbook and your class notes) should have mentioned something about the equation that can be created for the relation "is directly proportional to". This language is precise. Kindly please reply with a clear explanation of where you are getting stuck in the process of converting the English to the algebra. Thank you! ;)