"If the store sold 700 items and made a profit of $23,040, then how many of each was

McDanie1

"If the store sold 700 items and made a profit of $23,040, then how many of each was

Any assistance on how to solve the problem below would be greatly appreciated:

A shop sells both formal gowns and novelty t-shirts. The formal gowns run $500 per dress. The t-shirts sell for around $12 each. If the store sold 700 items and made a profit of $23,040, then how many of each was sold?

Thank you!

If the store sold 700 items and made a profit of $23,040, then how many of each was s

Any assistance on approaching this problem would be greatly appreciated:

A shop sells both formal gowns and novelty t-shirts. The formal gowns run $500 per dress. The t-shirts sell for around $12 each. If the store sold 700 items and made a profit of $23,040, then how many of each was sold?

f=$500
s=$12

fs+ss=700 items sold

Thank you!

I am posting for my daughter who is taking Algebra from a tutor. The problem posted is as it was presented to her to solve. I thought the profit that was indicated was $23,040, but you're saying that there is not enough data provided in order to calculate the number of each item sold, correct?

Thank you!

Mike

I am posting for my daughter who is taking Algebra from a tutor. The problem posted is as it was presented to her to solve. I thought the profit that was indicated was $23,040, but you're saying that there is not enough data provided in order to calculate the number of each item sold, correct?
Since "profit" is the difference of "selling price" and "cost", and since we are given only "selling price" and "profit", yes, there is information missing. Please have the student consult with the instructor regarding the missing information. Thank you! ;)

This is a poorly worded problem. You cannot use "profit", because you do not know the cost. But you could find the "gross income", the total money brought in without regard for the cost. I suspect that was what was intended.

Let x be the number of formal gowns sold and y be the number of t-shirts sold. "The store sold 700 items" so x+ y= 700. The formal gowns sold for $500, the t-shirts sold for $12 and if the "gross income" is $23,040 then we have 500x+ 12y= 23,040. Solve those two equations for x and y.

This is a poorly worded problem. You cannot use "profit", because you do not know the cost. But you could find the "gross income", the total money brought in without regard for the cost. I suspect that was what was intended.

Let x be the number of formal gowns sold and y be the number of t-shirts sold. "The store sold 700 items" so x+ y= 700. The formal gowns sold for $500, the t-shirts sold for $12 and if the "gross income" is $23,040 then we have 500x+ 12y= 23,040. Solve those two equations for x and y.
The more modern term is "revenue" rather than "gross income." And anyone who did use the term "gross revenue" would probably talk about "net income" rather than "profit." But I agree with you on what was probably intended.

f=$500
s=$12
The amounts $500 and $12 are known, so there is no need to assign symbols to represent them. We need symbols to represent numbers that are unknown.

What's unknown, in this exercise, is the number of gowns sold and the number of t-shirts sold. We could say:

f = the number of gowns sold

s = the number of t-shirts sold

McDanie1 said:
fs+ss=700 items sold
If you were thinking that symbols f and s represented dollar amounts, this equation would not make sense.

f*s would have been 500*12 dollars, and s*s would have been 12*12 dollars.

In other words, your equation states that $6,144 is the same as 700 items!

The exercise contains a typo. Replace the phrase "made a profit of" with the word "collected".

Then, follow the guidance posted by HallsofIvy in post #6.

If you need more help, please post all of your work thus far. :cool:

The more modern term is "revenue" rather than "gross income." And anyone who did use the term "gross revenue" would probably talk about "net income" rather than "profit." But I agree with you on what was probably intended.
If I had been able to remember the word "revenue" I would have used it!